Timed trigger counter?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by SpiderSpartanju, Jul 8, 2010.

1. SpiderSpartanju

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 10, 2009
    I've got this motion sensor circuit all put together and connected to my old laptop turned digital picture frame and it's working very well. http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=28653 Only problem now is that the motion trigger stays on for about a second and every once in a while it stays on long enough to turn off the computer.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a simple/low space way to make the relay trigger for 1 second only if the motion sensor is triggered twice in say 5 seconds. I thought about using a flip-flop, but I'm not sure how to set these up to achieve this. Maybe a J-K flip-flop with one input attached to a 555 timer with a heavy duty cycle?

I guess the other option would be something like a PIC, but I'd really like something that would use a little less space than either of these options.

Anyone have any ideas here? Thanks.

2. SpiderSpartanju

Apr 10, 2009
    nothing???

3. Dx3

Jun 19, 2010
    It's the "twice in 5 seconds" that stops me.
    Another way is to use a 555 as a one shot so the PIR can stay on as long as it wants and the computer only sees a blip.
    That's the best I can think of right now.

SpiderSpartanju likes this.
  4. SpiderSpartanju

Apr 10, 2009
    Great idea! I thought about using a 555 for the input to a flip-flop, but that would be more than I really need here I guess. I could just use it to drive the relay or use the 555 to control a second transistor in series with the one attached to the motion sensor output. That should definitely take up less space than a PIC. Thanks.