Timed button press

Dan74uk

Joined May 17, 2015
dear sirs

Im producing a small unit that fills a bottle with milk .
I have the bottle in place using linear slides .how can i press the button on my drinks container in for a set period of time .what do i need

I have three containers i want a 2second press of one ,a ten second press of another and four second press of the third

I do not have any experiance of automation however i guess solenoids may work.is their such thing as solenoids that can be timed

What can i use to keep the button pressed and released when needed time is met

Thanks

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
How accurate does the timing need to be?
Does each time period need to be adjustable? with a calibrated knob? with a screw-driver?
Do you need a visual display of what each time is preset to? or are you willing to run the machine to see if the bottle overflows after each adjustment?
How much are you willing to spend?

Three of these might work. The Chinglish translation is hard to read, but I guessing that three of these can be cascaded so the first triggers the second triggers the third and the it waits for a new button push...

Last edited:

Dan74uk

Joined May 17, 2015
How accurate does the timing need to be?
Does each time period need to be adjustable? with a calibrated knob? with a screw-driver?
Do you need a visual display of what each time is preset to? or are you willing to run the machine to see if the bottle overflows after each adjustment?
Thank you both of you .im not in electronics so please forgive me if i sound stupid

If u imagine one of those pepsi machines u see in a cafeteria normally has pepsi sprite and ano...they have little levers
I want to be able to push them in automatically .i will try find a picture .....hopefully it will not over fill if they liquid flow is the same from each container

Dan74uk

Joined May 17, 2015
image.jpg
Thank you both of you .im not in electronics so please forgive me if i sound stupid

If u imagine one of those pepsi machines u see in a cafeteria normally has pepsi sprite and ano...they have little levers
I want to be able to push them in automatically .i will try find a picture .....hopefully it will not over fill if they liquid flow is the same from each container

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Are you trying to mount some sort of external solenoid to actually push on the existing levers, or are you discarding the levers and interfacing with the internal wiring to electrically operate the machine?

Dan74uk

Joined May 17, 2015
Im open to ideas .
If their is a way of getting rid of the levers great may make filling easier but as i know it i was simply looking to see if i needed a robotic arm or similar to keep the current levers stuck in

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Remember that part of the challenge of dispensing carbonated beverages is the, well, carbonation. If you were to use just a timed fill, the soda would likely overflow due to the CO2 releasing. Or if you timed it so it did not overflow, once the carbonation settles out, you would have a partially filled cup.

I think you need a sequence; fill for a few seconds, wait for some seconds, fill again, wait again, top it off for a few seconds.

I would also be concerned how linear these times are. Or if the canister of syrup is low, does that change the times? Same for the CO2 cylinder.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Remember that part of the challenge of dispensing carbonated beverages is the, well, carbonation. If you were to use just a timed fill, the soda would likely overflow due to the CO2 releasing. Or if you timed it so it did not overflow, once the carbonation settles out, you would have a partially filled cup.
In fact, most of the automated fountains I have seen only discharge a portion of the soda. The human operator then finishes the fill.

Dan74uk

Joined May 17, 2015
In fact, most of the automated fountains I have seen only discharge a portion of the soda. The human operator then finishes the fill.
Without giving it away to unscrupulous people the item is not carbonated its flat.my project is to do with children and the disabled.

But thanks thats exactly the input i need

So removing your concerns do u think the initial idea is the best option or solenoids or is it possible to change the button area

Dan74uk

Joined May 17, 2015
Thanks mls .what would these be connected to ....solenoids?or to the machi e itself ie attaching this unit to the button itself

Last edited: