Time needed to load blocks into memory??

knanda

Joined Sep 16, 2012
Speed of the Hard Drive 12000rpm
No. of tracks=24
Blocks per track=4096
Current position of R/W head at track 123 Block 456
Target data location
1st block 101 on Track 512
2nd block 1234 track 101

Could you help me to calculate the time required to load the above two blocks in to memory??

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
1) You haven't supplied important information, such as how fast the head can move from track to track.

2) You say, "help me calculate" but give no calculations that you have attempted thus far. That sounds much more like, "calculate for me" instead.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
An ATA interface will tell you when it's ready using low level commands. You cannot beat this.
1) How do you know he's using an ATA interface?

2) Even if he is, he isn't asking how to 'beat' anything, he's trying to calculate how long it will take to load the given blocks.

3) This is a homework problem (at least it has the look and feel of one and it is in the Homework Help forum). So this is almost certainly a hypothetical and probably somewhat idealized problem aimed at getting the student to think in terms of the general mechanics involved in reading data from a drive and what things can happen at the same time and what things have to happen one after the other and what individual limits typically dominate drive performance.