Time measurement between two signals using microcontroller

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by indiansiva555@gmail.com, Jan 26, 2012.

1. indiansiva555@gmail.com

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 24, 2011
    Please help....
    How to measure time between two signals using microcontroller. Here I am using a laser pulse. The time is to be measured between transmitted laser signal and its reception (after reflection)

2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    That is not a trivial measurement due to the short time of flight. It requires a high speed comparator and digital counter. Read this for more info.

3. indiansiva555@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2011
    Thank you Senior.
    Your link provided me useful information about the working principle of laser range finders. But I am unaware of the comparators to be used and I am a beginner. So please help me in choosing the comparator.

4. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    You cannot do this with a laser unless you are trying to set up a sophisticated physics laboratory experiment.

5. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    If your pulse time resolution is in the range of 1 ns then a PIC (and a few external parts) with the CTMU module in TDR mode might work.

http://www.ecnmag.com/Articles/2009/07/Low-Cost,-High-Resolution-Time-Measurement-Application/

6. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    What distance are you trying to measure?

7. indiansiva555@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2011
    I want this to be installed in my car, so that I would be able measure the distance between my car and the one in the front. I also wan this to work as a proximity to sense a vehicle entering into my lane at a range of 30m. I don't want to make it very accurate. I am doing this to get an idea of such systems as I am a student.