Time machine help needed- really

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by timetraveler, Aug 18, 2009.

1. timetraveler

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 18, 2009
    For the pasted 6 years I have been constructing a full scale replica of the Time Machine movie prop from the 1960 film. My progress is chronicled here...
    http://timemachinejunkyard.com/
    Click on "Full Scale"
    I'm at the point of installing it's motor and control. I have almost no knowledge in this field. I'm hoping to find someone who can give me a few pointers as to what type of motor and control would be best for this application. On the Machine is a 60 inch diameter metal dish which needs to rotate at variable speeds forward and reverse from 0 to aprox. 90 RPM. This all needs to be controlled from a single lever. If you have this type of knowledge, please contact me at my site http://timemachinejunkyard.com/ or commuicate here. Or if you know someone who might be interested in helping, please let me know.
    Thanks.

2. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008
    A large ceiling fan motor would be ideal for this. They start real slow and top out at about the speed you want.

eric

3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Depends, is this powered by 120VAC or DC (12V)?

4. timetraveler

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 18, 2009
    I have not determined that. The power to the Machine will be 120VAC but I could use a power supply (transformer?) to go to DC if there is any advantage to using DC over AC. It is important for the motor to be quite. Some noise is ok but I don't want it to be too loud. Also it seems that there are a good variety of DC controllers. Again, I'm at a loss. Do you know what the advantages, if any, are using DC over AC?

5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    If you have 120VAC anyhow the ceiling fan motor idea is a good, IMO. They are even brass, which fits the motif.

6. count_volta

Feb 4, 2009
    Your flux capacitor impedance is too high. It prevents a speed of 88mph ;)

Sorry I couldn't resist. :D

Seriously thats a cool project. I love HG Wells. Read most of his books. :cool: