time delay circuit

faley

Joined Aug 30, 2014
Did ya get it figured out Neil? First, I would pitch the book. I've found that once errors are discovered in a source I can no longer trust the source- not good from a learning perspective for many reasons.

For grins, change the time constant of your circuit. As Jony130 inferred, once the cap is charged, current flow ceases (current leads voltage by 90 degrees in a capacitive circuit).

Again, referring to Jony130's input, take a moment and refresh your understanding of how transistors operate- electron flow and the emitter/base/collector relationships are significant.

This doesn't answer your question of turning the light on with delay. Think and use your reasoning powers- it's simply logic at that point. But, hopefully, this snippet of info will aid in your understanding.

Have fun- keep us posted.

Neil Groves

Joined Sep 14, 2011
Thanks for the encouragement Faley... I will keep the book as it is of sentimental value, was the first electronics book I bought but as you say, I don't trust it anymore. Yes I am currently exploring transistor circuits and it totally fascinates me.

faley

Joined Aug 30, 2014
Understand the sentimental aspect Neil. My pappy was into electronics- albeit analogue, radio and television (the hi-tech of his day. He gave me his old ham radio electronics reference book. Even though dated, much of the info is still relevant. I haven't referenced it in years but it means the world to me just to have it.

As for me, I came up in electronics during a time when digital logic systems and programmable systems were taking hold in the industrial world. We actually performed board-level repairs, believe it or not. These days with SMT, "they've" stolen all the fun! ;-)

Neil Groves

Joined Sep 14, 2011
I started building circuits back in the 80's, then pics and microprocessors came along and spoilt the fun of discreet circuits for me, so now I decided to go back to basics and find out why circuits do what they do and how circuits and components actually work instead of just building stuff, this is actually more interesting for me.

faley

Joined Aug 30, 2014
I'm with ya there. The basic nuts and bolts are where it's at IMHO. I kind of miss burning PROMs as when the term "burn" really meant burn. There's a lot of cool stuff to be done with the core technologies. Frankly, I made a decent living go into plants an fixing problems that others couldn't figure out. Almost always, the cause was a shortcoming in the "basics"- cold solder joints, loose screws, dust, dirt, moisture, incorrect bearings, inferior replacement parts, etc., etc.

hobbyist

Joined Aug 10, 2008
Hi,
Thats always been my hobby in electronics, learn and design circuits from scratch using all discreet components, I started out with one of those radio shack electronics labs, I would build the prescribed circuit according to the schematic provided, then I would get out my note book and start recording changes I made to the circuit.

The biggest learning experiance for me in designing from scratch, was to build the circuit and made sure it worked properly, then began taking one component at a time and using some logic, changed values, or removed it all together, and kept recording the results, until I would have the circuit down to its rawest form, and still work somewhat, then by adding the proper components back in, I was able to learn the function of each component in that particular arrangement.
Keeping notebooks full of data, is very helpful, because once I fully understood the circuit, I would then redesign it with my own choice of components to get close to the same results. from there I began to look for basic computer functions, and build computer function circuits all from discreet components.

I now am learning to design transistor circuits totally from mathematical and logical techniques using basic theory, (ohms, kirchoffs, and a few others), so as to calculate currents, voltages at all parts of the circuit, and what to expect when its breadboarded, and checked with the meters.

I have some tutorials in my blogs on these design experiances.

But all this is from a NON professional standpoint, its all done as a HOBBY only, so that is what makes it rewarding for me.

Have fun in your learning electronics.