time delay circuit

Neil Groves

Joined Sep 14, 2011
This is a schematic from the ladybird book called 'learnabout Simple Electronics' circa 1979......I am working my way through electronic theory and practice from the ground up, I built this circuit on plugboard and it does exactly the opposite of what is tells me in the text, it tells me that when I attach the flying lead to ground, the bulb will slowely light, it doesn't, the bulb starts at full brightness and slowely goes out, now looking at the circuit I agree with my actual results since DC current will be blocked progressively as the capacitor charges up via the transistor and the base resistor.....can someone elighten me to what is going on here please? :confused:

Neil.

Attachments

Jony130

Joined Feb 17, 2009
Hey, what can I say? You circuit work as expected. Maybe they print the wrong diagram.
Also notice that there is no path for capacitor to discharge. So this circuit will work only once.
So we need manually discharge the capacitor.

Last edited:

Neil Groves

Joined Sep 14, 2011
Yes Jony, indeed I have to discharge the li'l bugger each time, I just wanted conformation of what I was actually experiencing was correct instead of what I was being told.

thank you

Neil.

Neil Groves

Joined Sep 14, 2011
I havn't tried it but looking at the circuit again I would remove the bulb from the collector lead and insert it in the emitter lead?

Neil.

to3metalcan

Joined Jul 20, 2014
There's at least one other (imho, slightly better) way to do it, too. :) hint: think about what you said in your original post!

Also, just to join the chorus, you're definitely right. They're definitely wrong.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
From my perspective for a book entitled 'learnabout Simple Electronics' it does not appear to be that usefull a circuit?
I would have thought the emphasis would have been on something that might be of a more practically use or method?
Max.

Jony130

Joined Feb 17, 2009
Because as the transistor starts to shut down, the emitter voltage will rise and so lighting the bulb?

Neil.
Are you sure that you know how PNP transistor work??
How can any emitter or collector current flow if base current is 0A?
In which of this two circuits the bulb will light?

Attachments

Neil Groves

Joined Sep 14, 2011
I need to set my breadboard up again, I'm really confused.... Pnp needs 0v to conduct and non needs a positive voltage above. 6v to conduct?

Neil Groves

Joined Sep 14, 2011
So the only difference between pnp and non is the direction of current flow as directed by the arrow in the circuit, I get it.... Thankyou

Neil.

Jony130

Joined Feb 17, 2009
Jony, I still don't understand why the bulb BL2 is off in that picture.
ib2 = Vbe2/R2
ic2 = beta*ib2
But notice that Q2 is a PNP transistor so the base need a path to ground for his base current. Do you see any direct path from Q2 base to GND ?

So the only difference between pnp and non is the direction of current flow as directed by the arrow in the circuit, I get it.... Thankyou
Neil.
Yes that's the main difference.