three wire circuit in india?

arowgant

Joined Dec 16, 2007
hi all,

I recently moved from the U.S. to India on an assignment. Among other things, I moved my Washer and Dryer from the U.S. to India as well. Washer is working fine, but the dryer is not. I believe it requires a 3-wire circuit - but I am not sure if that is available in India. Is there a way I can get this done from a regular socket by using a phase-transformer or any such thing? I dont understand much of the technical stuff here, so I am looking for simple solutions. ANy help is this matter will be much appreciated.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
i dont get what u mean by three wire circuit.
two differences u'll find here are:
the frequency of supply is 50 Hz in US it is 60 Hz.(this is a big problem for AC appliances.)
there is no 110 V option u'll only get 230V AC from the HOT terminal wrt neutral.
the third wire is earthing for protection.(so a step down transformer might be needed here, i wud recommend a variac/autotransformer)

do u by any chance mean a three phase supply?

boltcutter

Joined Dec 5, 2007
Many north american dryers need a neutral (centre tap) for 115V in addition to 230v and earth, hence a four prong plug. Probably not much current needed at 115v, though, so step down should be pretty easy, assuming everything else works.

techroomt

Joined May 19, 2004
the american dryer requires (likely 30 amp rated) 240 vac and neutral. the 240 vac is coming from two 120 vac lines 180 degrees out of phase, a fourth wire, safety ground is often used and connected to chassis.

you didn't mention what voltage supply you are dealing with in india. but unless you have the same a transformer is likely needed. the motor can likely handle the 50hz, ands the remainder power consumption is resistive.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I'm surprised that the washer is working. American washers typically need 110 to 120 VAC.

More than a simple transformer is needed...

American dryers use 110 to 120 VAC for the control system - they tap it from the American neutral to one of the hot leads. (Check with the manufacturer to determine which one.)

Here's the problem: For safety, the dryer neutral would have to be connected to the Indian supply neutral. (Otherwise, some types of fault could energize the metal casing of the appliance.) If the dryer is hooked up so that it will actually work, the metal parts of the dryer would be at 115VAC. Very dangerous!!

To do this safely one needs to have the dryer neutral connected to the Indian neutral, and two each 120VAC supplies that are 180 degrees out of phase! The SAFE solution is a transformer with one 23 VAC primary and either TWO 115VAC secondaries. OR a single center-tapped 230V secondary. Either would function as an autotransformer once connected, allowing dryer neutral to connect to Indian neutral.

Only an expert should attempt to hook up such a configuration!