Three month project needed

flemmit

Joined Dec 3, 2012
Hi everybody

Does anybody have any recommendations for a project I can do within 3 months. This would be part of my final year fulfillment at college. I would be interested in either high frequency or power electronics. But the important part is that it should be doable within the time frame.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Design a safe, easy to construct 20KV to 160KV variable power supply.

I would be very interested to see you project!

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

In the ToS there are two parts that do not allow the discussion of rail guns:

Forum members must not knowingly provide any information that may adversely affect another member; this includes, but is not restricted to, information that may potentially result in injury, death, damage or destruction of property and possessions. The administration takes this matter seriously and has the right to remove any contentious content and deal with the offending member as it deems is necessary.
and

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies

If You come across a thread or post discussing any of the above topics please report the thread so We can close, and if necessary remove, the offending thread/posts.
So better choose an other subject.

Bertus

Jaguarjoe

Joined Apr 7, 2010
Design a safe, easy to construct 20KV to 160KV variable power supply.

I would be very interested to see you project!
Most automobile plants already have those. They use them for electrostatic painting. Day shift would run at max kv (80-120vdc) to get optimal transfer but with numerous overcurrent faults, while night shift would crank the HV down to 50-60vdc kv to have a quiet, dull but productive evening.

Behr put their HV generators in oil filed 5gal buckets to give them high dielectric strength. Another approach was potting them in hard plastic, you'd end up with a black thing about the size of a cucumber. 0-20v in = 0-120 out.