thread only available to AAC!!

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Hi moderators!

I was wondering if it would be possible make a thread only available to AAC?

What I mean giving the original poster the option whether he would like to hide projects detailed and discussion from search engine like google and others where confidentiality is a MUST!!

But members not logged in can still see and follow the discussion...

[edited] I removed the ?? in the above line...
what I meant is that we, AAC members, can still follow discussion as it done now
regards,

Eric007

Last edited:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

As far as I know the software does not have the possibility to hide a thread for the search engines.
If one is not logged in they can not look at attachments.
This is done for privacy.

Bertus

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
I don't mind people not logged in to follow the discussion as stated in my original post!
But I do mind SEARCH ENGINE!!!

Is it possible to add this feature in AAC??

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Not really. Bots look just like people to the forum software. That and there is some synergy between the site and google.

If you want to keep something private, you just have to keep it off the web.

Add to that we allow guests who can not see the images it really is impossible.

Remember too, this site represents the best of open source. That means hiding things is pretty much our antithesis.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I've giggled a few times when Goggling something I've seen here and the top hit is the thing I just read right here.

We get crawled over very fast. This ain't no place to hide.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I have noticed the same thing, getting a top hit on a post I had just entered. I wonder if it is specific to the computer originating the search. Next time I should go to another computer and conduct the search.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I have noticed the same thing, getting a top hit on a post I had just entered. I wonder if it is specific to the computer originating the search. Next time I should go to another computer and conduct the search.
The internet seems to be democratic. If you add content for a topic, and it is really content, chances are it will appear in search results relatively quick.

On the other hand, there are scammers who cobble together phony portals mainly containing keywords and random excerpts, and this clogs up search results. Maybe their intentions are not democratic.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
I wondered the same thing myself, seen it happen more than once, the search possibly originates in the history of the PC first, since most times people are searching for something they have either looked at before or site they have been to before....

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I am an admin in another site, and there the Search Engine bots appear as a separate usergroup. You can exclude them from any forum you like, but, once again, this is admin work.

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
I am an admin in another site, and there the Search Engine bots appear as a separate usergroup. You can exclude them from any forum you like, but, once again, this is admin work.

So you mean that if the OP would like that option for a particular thread he/she can ask the mod do that??

I understand that this is an open source but sometimes it happens that we discuss stuffs that we woudn't want search engine to pick up!

The reason I am discussing this is what if I am being accused of plagiarism just because I have applied an idea coming from AAC or have used a comment from here in my work?

Anyways there's always a way out! my name ends with 007:D