This girl in class

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Star Trek are you mad?!?! You really think Luke Skywalker could beat up Cappy Kirk or Picard or even Janeway for that fact? ;)
I don't care about who could "beat up" who. I care about the story, the effects, the imagination behind it all. Star Wars wins the "cool factor" hands-down. At least episodes IV, V, and VI. I, II, and III just suck :rolleyes:

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I don't care about who could "beat up" who. I care about the story, the effects, the imagination behind it all. Star Wars wins the "cool factor" hands-down. At least episodes IV, V, and VI. I, II, and III just suck :rolleyes:
In that case its not comparable. Your comparing 4 hours of video to 500+ hours of video. Think about it, Starwars = 6 movies. Star Trek = 5 TV Series, 10 - 11 Movies.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
In that case its not comparable. Your comparing 4 hours of video to 500+ hours of video. Think about it, Starwars = 6 movies. Star Trek = 5 TV Series, 10 - 11 Movies.
You have a point, though it depends on what you're actually judging. I personally prefer Star Wars because of the "cool factor" -- just which one I think is "cooler" and more fun to watch. Star Trek doesn't really have.....

Wait a minute, what am I doing??? That Star Trek vs. Star Wars quip was just a joke! :p

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
You have a point, though it depends on what you're actually judging. I personally prefer Star Wars because of the "cool factor" -- just which one I think is "cooler" and more fun to watch. Star Trek doesn't really have.....

Wait a minute, what am I doing??? That Star Trek vs. Star Wars quip was just a joke! :p
I'd dissagree with that. Startrek the series' were made for TV so how cool can you get sticking to a network censors? Look at the JJ Abrams Star Trek. I'd say that give Starwars a good run for its money. I like the newest Star Trek over any of the Starwars. Plus the story of StarWars is a blink of an eye compared with the Saga of 40 years of Star Trek. And I liked the old TNG episodes that hit on all topics and politics. There was always a "lesson" for the episode or a catch 22.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I'd dissagree with that. Startrek the series' were made for TV so how cool can you get sticking to a network censors? Look at the JJ Abrams Star Trek. I'd say that give Starwars a good run for its money. I like the newest Star Trek over any of the Starwars.
I'll concede that point. I thoroughly enjoyed the new Star Trek movie, and I'm looking forward to seeing the second one. The one thing Star Wars has over the new Star Trek is that it's a classic--way ahead of its time!

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I'll concede that point. I thoroughly enjoyed the new Star Trek movie, and I'm looking forward to seeing the second one. The one thing Star Wars has over the new Star Trek is that it's a classic--way ahead of its time!
How is that? Star Trek aired in 66, Star Wars first came out 11 years later in 77.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Ah, but the next Star Trek movie will be an odd number and so will be rubbish.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I always thought Star Trek missed a bet with Battlestar Galactica. Given their senario a carrier make sense even in there universe, even though they are a "peaceful" culture.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Have you watched them one right after the other? Star Trek is so low-tech compared to Star Wars. I don't know how you can miss that :p
Of coarse but match the production dates to Starwars and StarTrek and you have nearly the same thing. To compare Starwars the movie you must compare it against Star Trek movies at that time.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
How is that? Star Trek aired in 66, Star Wars first came out 11 years later in 77.
Of coarse but match the production dates to Starwars and StarTrek and you have nearly the same thing. To compare Starwars the movie you must compare it against Star Trek movies at that time.
Any older Star Trek movies I saw had very low-tech effects and were quite lame. Star Wars was the first series where the special effects were created by physically editing the film. Literally--they took markers and drew in the laser blasts and everything. The effects were definitely ahead of their time in Star Wars. Star Trek was significantly less imaginative.

I'm saying this looking back on them both. When I was a kid and saw them for the first time they both were very engaging--they were top-end at the time and I loved them both. Over the years, however, I've grown to realize how different the effects really are, and that Star Wars used cutting edge ideas to create their effects.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I'm saying this looking back on them both. When I was a kid and saw them for the first time they both were very engaging--they were top-end at the time and I loved them both. Over the years, however, I've grown to realize how different the effects really are, and that Star Wars used cutting edge ideas to create their effects.
Compare story concept rather than visual effects. Effects are cool, but they alone don't make a movie good or bad, but they help.

I remember the SW scripts floating around on the BBS for other Star Wars movies before they came out, after the first one. I don't know why they didn't start with episode one. The scripts changed a great deal by the time they got around to making the movies.

ST does better at continuity of characters than SW (other than Red Shirts, anyway). Until you get to the movies, at least.

Depends on what you are comparing, movies to movies, or movie to series, or universe to universe.