Think I blew a capacitor or diode

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by short-circuit, Oct 3, 2012.

1. short-circuit

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Hello all

I have a 9 Inch monitor I use in my Car, I accidentally plugged my laptop's 19 volt cord into it instead of the 12 volt cord it is supposed to use. it turned on for a few seconds then turned off (and gave off a faint burning smell). Now the standby light comes on but the monitor wont power on when I press the power button. I think I blew a capacitor or a diode...but I'm not sure. I'd like to fix it myself but I don't know where to start. Any suggestions? I would very much appreciate any ideas.

2. kuch128

Mar 7, 2011
    I'll beat them to it, you are going to need to take it apart and take some pictures and inspect for visual damage first before anything.
  3. mkbutan

Sep 30, 2008
    first you have to open it and look where you feel its damage take some photos and post in the foarm in a hope some one can guide you the check points
  4. short-circuit

Oct 3, 2012
    Thanks for replys! As soon as I get home today I'll take it apart and report back with photos.
  5. short-circuit

Oct 3, 2012
    Ahh well here seems to be the problem, i pointed a red arrow to it in the attached image. Is that an IC? Please excuse my stupidity I'm not the best at electronics stuff...

any thoughts?
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  6. luvv

May 26, 2011
    That used to be a IC,it's a crispy critter now..

Was likely a voltage regulatoror SMP IC once upon a time,good luck identifying it.

Looks like there may be burnt traces around the IC and that may be just the beginning.

If it where me,I would call it a loss,unless you are very motivated to spend hours and hours testing individual components.
  7. short-circuit

Oct 3, 2012
    Thanks for the input luvv,

**if I can somehow identify the IC, do you think replacing it would be worth a shot? I mean they are cheap, if it doesn't work it wont be too much of a loss...

What do you think?
  8. BSomer

Dec 28, 2011
    Replacing just the IC may or may not work. It greatly depends on the possibility of other components gone bad. Clean the board with isopropyl alcohol and a paint brush/acid brush/whatever. See if you can find any other parts that are toasted. It kind of looks like there may be a SMD resistor or something between the two large caps. If you are lucky the IC may still have some markings that are readable. Or... You might be able to find a schematic showing what the IC is. If you tell us the model # of the monitor and or power supply board, we might be able to help find a schematic.
  9. dataman19

Dec 26, 2009
    Post a make, Model and serial number/chassis number.
    We can help you locate the service manual.
    Phoenix, AZ