thevenin

jstrike21

Joined Sep 24, 2009
Just a quick question on starting this problem, is it ok to use mesh current on just the 1st two loops and solve for Ib, then substitute that into the dependent current source to find that current?

Attachments

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Just a quick question on starting this problem, is it ok to use mesh current on just the 1st two loops and solve for Ib, then substitute that into the dependent current source to find that current?
Yes, you can solve the lefthand side and then take that results and use it to solve the righthand side. That is because there are no elements in the two lefthand loops that are dependent on the results on the righthand circuitry.

hgmjr

jstrike21

Joined Sep 24, 2009
ok i started writing the mesh current out but i got to the dependent source and if im thinking correctly you cant use mesh current with that source there, right?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Perhaps it would be helpful if you posted your work so that others can see your process. If you take a wrong turn then someone can assist you in getting back on the right track.

hgmjr

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
My apologies, I just noticed that my earlier advice was in error. I just noticed that the voltage source in the left loop is a function of the voltage in the righthand loop. That means that you will not be able to compute the lefthand circuit without looking at the interaction between the two loops.

hgmjr

jstrike21

Joined Sep 24, 2009
ok so now i really dont know how to get started on this one

applying test voltages to find Rth after deactivating independent sources i think is the way to do it but im getting confused on that

Last edited:

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Notice that the current source Is and R1 is the Norton's Equivalent of a voltage and series resistance. Try converting it back to the voltage and series resistance. That will make forming the equation for Ib very straightforward.

hgmrj