Thesis topic

yash1234

Joined Jul 18, 2012
Hii everyone,
I am currently doing my final year for bachelors in electrical and electronics engineering. I request you to please suggest me some topics quickly in both electrical and electronics streams. I have to work on my thesis topic for five months. To elaborate a bit, topics on power electronics, micro electronics, power systems, electrical machines, electromagnetic energy conversion digital electronics are appreciated.
Thanking you all

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Here we go again. :rolleyes: Have you no interests of your own?

Here's one of mine: The DIY windmill "industry" would love to have a magic box that could receive 3-phase AC from a windmill - varying in voltage, frequency, and current - and efficiently convert it to a stable output. Stable voltage and frequency (or DC) - obviously the current has to vary.

The challenge is the range of the input supply. There's 1000 times more power at 50mph than at 5mph. So maintaining efficiency over two orders of magnitude would be great, perhaps trailing off at high wind speeds where efficiency is less of a concern than mechanical damage.

williamj

Joined Sep 3, 2009
yash1234,

Following along with wayneh's suggestion, one of the most difficult areas of wind/gen in indeed over spin. Mechanical apperatus do blow apart when their RPM exceed a certain point (completely dependant on the apperatus in question). I believe that a magnetic brake's (see attache) applied voltage, porportional to the RPM of the wind/gen's shaft, would be an appropriate solution to this particular problem. Being an urban dweller, and regulated by zoning laws and ordinances, I have been unable to play with the idea.

The system would (should) work something like this...

As the wind/gen approached optimum rpm current would then begin to be fed to the brake coils, possibly through an electronically controlled pulse width modulator (pwm), beginning the braking process. As the rpm increased so would the current to the brake coils thus lowing the rpms, and on and on, until a happy medium would (should) be reached at any particular rpm.

It's not a simple as it sounds, but could be a viable project.

just trowing in my two pennies worth to increase the confussion level,
williamj

Attachments