Thesis Project Suggestions Needed

ruel_coach

Joined Jul 1, 2009
i am a 5th yr electrical engineering and i am required to do a thesis but the problem is i dont know what topic will i'm going to study..can anyone help me?....i would really appreciate any reply..thanks a lot....

millwood

Joined Dec 31, 1969
temperature sensors are fairly easy: you can use pretty much any bjt and they go about -2mv / c. or thermistors.

sound sensors can be formed via vibration sensors, or speakers.

moisture sensors: use two electrode and roll them up in paper towl and then dip it in salt water and let it dry out: it is a poorman's moisture sensor.

light sensors: can be done from led.

(ac) current sensors: from small winding. probably the simplest of them all.

proximity sensors: capacitance based.

etc.

it depends on what you are comfortable with and how you want to implement it.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
i am a 5th yr electrical engineering and i am required to do a thesis but the problem is i dont know what topic will i'm going to study..can anyone help me?....i would really appreciate any reply..thanks a lot....
Greetings ruel_coach,

First, let me welcome you to the AAC forum. I hope you enjoy your interaction with our members.

I have relocated you request for a suggested topic for your thesis project into its own thread.

It is always preferred that you start a new thread rather than append your request to an existing similar thread. The combining of multiple requests for help in a single thread is always a recipe for confusion.

Thanks,
hgmjr

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
For some of us old fogies, you might explain what a "thesis" is, as it sounds like you're an undergrad. Last I heard, it was the culmination of the work on an MS or PhD (also called a dissertation). Mainly, give us an idea of the time you have to spend on it, as that will determine how complex of a task you undertake.

Also, give us an idea of what kinds of things you like to do. Do you lean to theoretical stuff or applied stuff?

Here's a problem I've recently been wondering about, as I'm writing an article on function generators. Suppose you're given a modern function generator that has the ability to frequency modulate a built-in signal (which are usually things like sine, square, and triangle waves). Now, frequency modulate that signal with another signal from another function generator. Finally, run that composite signal through an amplitude modulator.

The question would be to study what practical wave shapes you could get from this techique (and how to get them), given reasonable assumptions on frequency deviation limits, etc. Trying to derive practical mathematical expressions for the resulting waveshapes is probably beyond undergraduate math and may be beyond any current mathematical techniques. But useful numerical modelling could be done with a computer and results confirmed with real hardware. The problem could be interesting from both theoretical and practical viewpoints. And, since most modern function generators use DDS and DDS is so conceptually simple, it might be of commercial interest to see what interesting things could be done here using DDS technology.