Thermocouple Voltage

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by emilj726, Jul 23, 2014.

1. emilj726

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Does anyone know if an thermocoupler's voltage can be scaled with a voltage divider. I have a K-type and I want to scale the voltage. as an example when the temperature is at 275 C and the voltage is 10mV I want to scale that in half to 5mV. Is that possible?

Thanks

2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    sure..
    but why?
    Do you not have some sort of calibration on the device the TC is attached to?

3. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    You can use an opamp and alter the gain with a resistor divider, or use an AD595 thermocouple amp and adjust the gain.

4. emilj726

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 1, 2010
    I have attached a sketch of what I am going to do. A1+ and A1- are going into a PLC. The reason why i want to scale the voltage is because the plc is rated to read temperatures at high as 300 C. So basically I just want to fool the plc so that I can go as high as 400 C. Since I am dividing the voltage in half with the resistors externally, in the plc program I will basically double whatever value the plc is reading so i can display accurate values.

5. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    dont forgetr to keep the wire types the same, each junction will generate a bit of voltage with disimilar metals.