Thermocouple for Agilent DMM

smilem

Joined Jul 23, 2008
Hi, i'm looking for thermocouple for agilent u1252b dmm, the one they recommend u1186a k type is OK but it's made like crap.

I need to measure motherboard IC temperatures, heatsink temperatures etc.
I'm afraid I can short circuit the 2 visible wires in u1186a, or wore showrt circuit the components on board itself.

If I can't find the right probe, then I will just coat the thermocouple with: Arctic Alumina™ Thermal Adhesive

Pure Electrical Insulator:
Arctic Alumina Adhesive is a pure electrical insulator, neither electrically conductive nor capacitive.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_alumina_thermal_adhesive.htm

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
....I'm afraid I can short circuit the 2 visible wires in u1186a, or wore showrt circuit the components on board itself....
The two exposed wires on the end of the thermocouple are already shorted together...that's what a thermocouple is. As far as shorting to other components...the DMM input is isolated. You can touch the exposed metal tip to anything (well almost anything. ;) ). Think of the bird standing on a 32,000 volt power transmission cable. You don't smell burning feathers do you? The only danger is if you put the metal thermocouple tip in a position that shorts two other components together. The thermal adhesive is a very good choice if you want to permanently attach the thermocouple to something, but with attaching it only to the DMM you don't need electrical insulation...unless there's more to your setup that stated.

Ken