Thermo-electric generator Project

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by krock24, Apr 1, 2010.

1. krock24

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Hi,
    I'm going to be building a TEG for an engineering 103 project, and I read in the ebook on this site that the author has seen TEG's produce "hundreds of amps." I'd really like to know how that was done. In the mean time however I plan on using resistance wire (Constantan and Chromel) due to its high Seebeck Coefficient to create one-two hundred junctions in series. In application (on the exhaust manifold of a car) there will be about a 200 degC temp. gradient when the "cold" junctions are properly cooled. I am expecting to get about 1V of potential. Does anyone know how I can improve this?

P.S. I am aware of ferromagnetic/electron doped alloys and will not be using them. Mainly I would like to get an idea of what conductor diameter and length to use, basically a general design idea.

Thanks for your help!

2. russ_hensel

Jan 11, 2009
    100 of amps is usually produced by very low voltage and very low resistance circuits. Power is still low. Large cross sections on everything, short length. a fairly common physics demo in the old days. Current usually shown thru magenitic effects.