THERMAL PRINTER INTERFACINF WITH ARDUINO

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by dk007, Jul 29, 2016.

1. dk007

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 22, 2016
    HELLO,

I WANT TO INTERFACE 'EPM203-LV' THERMAL PRINTER WITH ARDUINO.I DID CONNECTIONS BUT IT IS SHOWING ME A GARBAGE PRINT.I AM A BEGINNER ..

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    According to the datasheet here:

www.aps-printers.com/get_file.php?c=data_sheet&f=EPM203.pdf

That printer has no standard interface. Other members of the family do have standard interfaces. Can you supply a link to a document that you think describes the interface you are using?

JohnInTX likes this.
  3. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    The EPM203-LV model is just the print head (a single line of dots), stepper motor (to advance the paper one dot-row at a time) and misc hardware. It's intended for applications that require dot-level control over the printed output as opposed to sending ASCII characters by RS232 etc. Your Arduino controller would have to provide the motor steps, and synchronized line by line dot on/off to create characters, graphics etc. The other models with listed interfaces (RS232 etc) have an additional control board that receives serial characters, control bytes etc. and operates the stepper motor/printhead to print those characters etc.

To use this one with Arduino would require programming that includes tables with 0-9, A-Z character patterns (at the least) and routines to spit them out dot-row by dot-row while stepping the motor for each row of dots (1 character row is many dot rows). Some raw mechanisms like this also require some finesse with the dot driver current - I don't know specifically about this one.

Since you are a beginner, I'd recommend trying to get a control board for it that takes serial characters in a native Arduino format such as RS232, serial TTL etc, and go from there.

[​IMG]
    You have the mechanism. You need the green control board.
    Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  4. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009