there is reading, then there is hands on :O)

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by tony8404, Mar 18, 2009.

1. tony8404

Thread Starter Active Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Hello everyone, I am still reading my book but i am begging to notice that after I read i feel I understand what I have read but if I look at it again the next day or try the review questions I get through them but do not really remember the rest of it... after a few times of reading it like a couple days in a row it sticks better but i am thinking maybe i need to start purchasing small electronic kits to actually see it fit all together from reading to actual hands on. The kits are cheap and kinda interesting from what i have seen, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Since i have mentioned purchasing kits, I know there are numerous sites but wanting to know if there is a selected few for begginers that one may know of ... I have not really seen anything saying begginers section so wondering if anyone can point in the right direction... I really do not want to get something that will confuse me. thanks

2. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    Kits are a good start but I would suggest something else. Think of a circuit you want to make, try to find examples in the internet (google is very good at this), then try to modify them a bit if needed and build them. Then it won't work and you will try to find the fault. This is a good way to learn and gain experience. Of course you can do the same with a kit but y searching the internet to find the appropriate parts you will need and how they are connected together you will learn more.

3. leftyretro

Nov 25, 2008
    Yes, many of us augmented out learning experience with kits. In the 50s and 60s Heathkit was a big player in the electronics kit field. While you didn't really have to learn or know electronics theory to build these kits, there was plenty of documentation, theory of operation, schematics, etc that would allow those that wanted to, to gain a lot of understanding and hands on experience. Heathkit was famous for how well they documented their kits. Alas Heathkit is no longer with us, but there are niche manufactures that do a decent job in electronic kits. Two I can think of are:

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/

http://www.vellemanusa.com/us/enu/product/list/?id=523008

There are others of course.

Good luck;

Lefty

4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  5. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    A more useful and similar cost learning platform is a "Breadboard Kit" Like this one. Compared to a solder together kit, whic is a one time/one purpose item, you will find more "bang per buck" with a breadboard based kit. Although a learning to solder kit, along with soldering iron and related materials is a required skill at some point as well.

Combine the above with a good DMM, and most "theory" can be measured accurately. A multimeter is the most often used tool for most work, I would say it is a necessity. I suggest acquiring a good one at the start if you plan on playing with electronics long term. Used Fluke 87 series I or series III can be found for under $100 - They have all the accuracy and range/measurements that a hobbyist to professional usually need short of an oscilloscope. They are built like a tank and hold accuracy very well.

The breadboard, jumpers, and many components don't wear out quickly, although some parts WILL die/smoke sooner or later, that's all part of learning. Most can be easily and cheaply replaced. The "kit" is easily expanded as you look into more complex circuits. The basic items included in most general breadboard kits will be used over and over, such as transistors, capacitors, and some ICs like the 555 Timer or Op Amps.