The will of Landru

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Why is Audioguru's status shown as "banned." I assume this has something to do with the uC cabal that has pulled many repeat posters into The Body, but as a new guy I'd like a little detail.

Thanks.

ak

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I consider AG a friend, but he could not help zinging member who were from China or the middle east. It took a very long time, and he was given many more chances than the average bear, but eventually the mod team decided it was unacceptable. In the end I felt I had to vote aye on the ban.

I still miss his input though.

Mickster

Joined Jan 10, 2010
AG is a highly talented individual, has a vast amount of experience and generally takes the time out to post precise information where the poster is deserving.
However, he has in the past, made posts which were unacceptable and were generally referencing people from emerging countries in other parts of the world, in a derogatory manner.
I think part of the reason for this could have been his choice of username. "Guru" doesn't originate in the Western part of the world.
I think he eventually got tired of kids/students/ adults from countries used to seeking the help of a "Guru" in the traditional sense, and not providing any information or proof that they had attempted to answer the questions they had, themselves.
None of us can deny his expertise, but he may have been better served by choosing another name, such as AudioExpert, or something similar.
He can still be found at various other forums, if you search his name.
Regards.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Yep, and I still do occasionally, he really does know his stuff.

It is like we always say here though, use the ignore function when appropriate. Everyone is happier, except maybe the person not wanting to do his homework. They will be with us always, just something we all have to put up with.

No one is born knowing this stuff though, I was a dumb kid once, but I got to survive without too many shocks and burns.

Mickster

Joined Jan 10, 2010
[O/T]
@Bill (or any other Mod/Admin)
If someone was on a member's ignore list, would it prevent the member from receiving PM's from that someone?
[/O/T]

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Don't know, but you could always delete them unopened. Pretty much the same as with the postal service. Before I became a moderator I took that option occasionally, but now I don't really feel I have a choice. Of course, being a mod I don't have to totally ignore it if it is nasty enough.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Mickster, I don't know either but we could try it.

If you want, I'll add you to my ignore list when you tell me to, then you'll send me a PM. I'll unblock you a day later and we'll compare notes.

What do you think?

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Hooboy... I'se a gonna be watchin' this one, for the info if nothing else... Thinking of a specific PEST !!! :D to install in the ignore corner...

Last edited:

Mickster

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Hi,
Could someone please quote this post for Georacer, to see if the reply shows up in a quote and also to inform him that I have sent the PM please?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I can see your PM, if I choose to display it, in the thread. However, I have not received any PM.

I'm certain that a quote wouldl show up, since it's just edited text. We can try it though, if someone quotes you.

I am removing you from my blacklist now. Thank you for your help.

Mickster

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I made 2 attempts at sending the PM, but no messages were listed in the Outbox.
I'll send another test one in a minute, to see if one, or three turn up for you.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Did you mean the Sent Items folder? We don't have an Outbox in AAC. I believe you must manually select copying of sent messages to the Sent Messages folder, in your profile options.

I received the 2nd and 3rd PM, which where sent after I unblocked you, but never received the first one.

Mickster

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Ah, I did mean the sent items folder.
I also sent a 4th PM.
Good to know that ignored members get their PM's blocked too.
I have nobody on ignore.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Yeah, but keep it civil is a major mantra here. Violate it at your own risk, as racism will not be tolerated in any form.

It is possible to disagree civilly with someone over technical issues, but when it turns personal the moderators have to get involved. I think I can speak for all the mods when I say this is not something we want to do. We really don't, but we will when the need arises.