the whatchamacalit

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by coeng, Nov 3, 2009.

1. coeng

Thread Starter Member

Oct 29, 2009
    About 15 years ago when I was taking my digital design courses in college, I remember owning a really neat breadboard kit that included an integrated power supply among other things. It had a black hardcase that it sat in. It had a catchy name too. Any idea what its called? Its probably at in parents attic and I want to find it.

2. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009

Hi, maybe you should look harder at Mom's!!!!$$$$$$

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/PB-4060/POWERED-BREADBOARD/-/1.html

3. S_lannan

Jun 20, 2007
    usually they are called digital trainers.
    Most have ttl and cmos power supplies, debounced switches, one shots and square wave oscillators..

hope that helps ;)

4. coeng

Thread Starter Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Thanks to some detective work by my dad, we found it in his attic (as well as all my other material, tools, and components, and tons if ICs). I thought all my stuff had been thrown out. Good thing my parents are like pack rats.

Its called the A/D Trainer PAD-234A by R.S.R. Electronics. Below is the link...I think at the time I purchased it through my school. Now I just have to figure out how to use it. I plugged it in and it seemed to power on just fine. I'll have to test it out in the next few days. I hope that sitting untouched in a box in the extreme heat/cold for the past 14 years (since 1995!) didn't do any damage. I wonder about all the ICs I have as well. Only one way to find out. Only problem is that I have to basically re-learn everything about digital circuits....things like what does a J/K flip-flop do ? ;)

http://elexp.com/tst_234.htm

5. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    If the kit doesn't have a manual, be sure to get the data sheets for all the logic IC's.

One general rule - never leave an input open. If it's not being used, tie it to ground or to Vcc. TTL logic needs a resistor to Vcc. 74xx IC's need about 4.7K, later (74LSxx) need more like 20K.