The war on cops, another chapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I guess none of you seen the person carrying a long arm in the protest. Chief brown said he was a person of interest, which morphed into him being a suspect.

Turns out, when the gunfire started, he went to the nearest cop and turned his weapon over, so he would not be mistaken for a shooter. Of course social media blew up, calling him a coward and such, relegating the due process moot. It was a couple of hours before the truth came out, making truth the first casualty of the events.

Texas has an open carry law and that person was exercising his second amendment rights. He choose the correct course of action during this tragedy.

I lost a lot of sleep last night as my son is DPD. The last two times that happened was January 17th 1991 and September 9th 2001.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Dallas Police Department.

My heart sank when the gunfire commenced. Even though his normal precinct was south of there, I knew it was an all hands on deck evolution. It took a while for him to post he was OK, so his mom and I were just anxious till that was posted.

Your correct @cmartinez, I should have stated "in the", or is a DPD officer.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

My heart sank when the gunfire commenced. Even though his normal precinct was south of there, I knew it was an all hands on deck evolution. It took a while for him to post he was OK, so his mom and I were just anxious till that was posted.

Your correct @cmartinez, I should have stated "in the", or is a DPD officer.
Well, I'm glad to hear that nothing bad happened to him. I'm probably one of the few people out there that actually like (most) cops.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I'll stand by the quality of this source compared to some blogger.
"Officer Down Memorial Page listed 133 police officers as ‘Line of Duty Deaths’."
"The FBI’s own data show that assaults on police officers were down sharply in 2014, continuing a steady decline since 2008. Assaults on cops were at their lowest point since 1996."
"Four cops, in different departments across the country, all faked being shot and then blamed the shootings on non-existent assailants."
"According to data collected by the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, which tracks police deaths, there is no upward trend in the killing of officers."

It seems I shouldn't believe mere bloggers who document their statements with quotations from the FBI, public records, and a couple of police worshiping memorial sites. I wonder, is it the use of these quotations by a blogger that makes them invalid, or is it the sources of the information that are invalid?

Attachments

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Sorry to interrupt... but I'm still laughing here... for a moment I imagined you with your son going through an episode of that Dependent Personality Disorder thingy... and that he didn't wanna go to bed if you didn't stay with him in his room all night... Emoji Smiley-23.png ... stupid me...

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Sorry to interrupt... but I'm still laughing here... for a moment I imagined you with your son going through an episode of that Dependent Personality Disorder thingy... and that he didn't wanna go to bed if you didn't stay with him in his room all night... View attachment 108887 ... stupid me...
A little bit of language barrier goes a long way?:D
(I take no offense from a mere mistake.)

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
A little bit of language barrier goes a long way?:D
(I take no offense from a mere mistake.)
yup... for all my linguist prowess (and my superb sense of humility), English is still not my mother language, and I slip every now and then. :D

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

Good to hear that. They all have their heads on a swivel as there have been at least two ambush shootings of police across the country today.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
"The FBI’s own data...
We're talking about two different things. You're right that, even despite recent events, cop murders are generally down. The literal war has less casualties than it used to.

I was referring to the cold war, the carefully orchestrated political war against cops. The purpose of that orchestration is to take policing out of the hands of the citizenry – us, we the people – and turn it over to the we-know-better central government. That must be resisted.

I'm no fan of how policing is often done. Where I grew up, the local cops were drawn from a pool of people that included local kids that had no other future and were essentially criminals that never got caught. I had some of those people as friends and ran around with them. My friend Roland used to love to roll his Volkswagen bug, just for fun, and plenty of other shenanigans you wouldn't associate with a pillar of the community. Then he became a cop. It definitely concerned me that the town gave him a fast car and a gun along with his badge. It opened my eyes to the reality of police - they're human. And maybe not the top tier. But as bad as it was, I still want those staffing and training decisions made locally by the people paying their salaries.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
My heart sank when the gunfire commenced.
I can't imagine. No amount of rational logic that your child is probably not involved can overcome the "what if" horror. The human mind is very good at imagining future scenarios. It's what we do, and what differentiates us from most animals. But it's a curse.

I'm happy and proud that my daughter is an Army Lieutenant. As a physical therapist, it's unlikely she'll ever see frontline duty, but it could happen. I'd lose my mind.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Ironically, some parts of this case resemble the Kennedy assassination in 1963.
  1. A military trained sniper shooting at multiple public officials (in this case, the police) in Dallas, Texas.
  2. Questions about the sound and possibility of multiple sources of gunfire.
  3. Whether there was more than one gunman.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Ironically, some parts of this case resemble the Kennedy assassination in 1963.
  1. A military trained sniper shooting at multiple public officials (in this case, the police) in Dallas, Texas.
  2. Questions about the sound and possibility of multiple sources of gunfire.
  3. Whether there was more than one gunman.
I know that area of downtown Dallas, localizing a shooter from gunshots in that valley of high-rise echos must have been tricky.
http://www.wfaa.com/news/the-anatomy-of-an-ambush-dallas-darkest-day/268194695

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
No argument. It ultimately comes down to the mental illness and focusing on the "last straw", if it even was that, glosses over the rest of the camel.

I'm glad to hear that it now appears to have been the work of just one shooter. I'm guessing echoes off buildings made them unsure if there were more. I saw fireworks in town the other night and was amazed at the odd sounds bouncing off nearby buildings.
I don't believe the shooter was "mentally ill".

That label is used way to often to describe behavior that is viewed as irrational. However, considering all the cases where a cop walks free in spite of solid evidence against them (IE - the Rodney King beating) , I'm surprised this hasn't happened much earlier. After the verdict in the George Zimmerman/Travon Martin case in 2013, I was on a bus with about 5 or 6 blacks and their outrage was "red hot".

Rightly or wrongly, blacks perceive they are victims of discrimination and government sponsored oppression and they have little or no recourse in the legal system.

Also, if you look at this in perspective, the U.S. is evolving into something like Iraq with a continuous civil war. Once the shootings get started, positive feedback sets in and the social system goes into runaway deterioration

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Also, if you look at this in perspective, the U.S. is evolving into something like Iraq with a continuous civil war. Once the shootings get started, positive feedback sets in and the social system goes into runaway deterioration
I don't believe that for a second because we the public won't let it happen. If wackos start shooting up cops in my neighborhood they can expect the local citizens to be right next to the cops shooting back at the wackos. We are not unarmed and helpless like citizens in Iraq.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I don't believe that for a second because we the public won't let it happen. If wackos start shooting up cops in my neighborhood they can expect the local citizens to be right next to the cops shooting back at the wackos. We are not unarmed and helpless like citizens in Iraq.

Yeah right - You're going to be shooting back at blacks who (considering all the gun violence in Section 8 housing projects) already have a pretty good little arsenal of their own.

Furthermore, once whites start shooting at blacks, a full scale urban riot will ensue like what happened in L.A. after the not guilty verdict in the Rodney King case. In fact, until the Northridge Earthquake in 1994, the L.A. Riot was the worst and most costly urban disaster in the U.S.

A wholesale armed confrontation between whites, blacks, and other groups will turn your city into a disaster area and Obama (or Trump) will order the National Guard into town to quell the upheaval.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
.............It opened my eyes to the reality of police - they're human..............
I introduced my "son in law" to guns and shooting. He won his class at a public police shoot I brought him to. He applied to the Las Vegas Police academy and was accepted (>8 years ago). He is how studying for his Sargent exam. I am very proud of him.

What I have learned through my son in law, is that the news media distorts events to make them more sensational. Bad guys are bad which is boring news, but if you can suggest that the cops might have screwed up or that the husband beating his wife was treated less than lovingly by the cops, you can make front page news (with a story that the journalist basically made up.)

Police are human and with me, they are family.

+1 NSA +1

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Turner Diaries stuff ...
That makes the very wrong assumption that most blacks will side with cop killing murders and chose to willingly put their safety in the hands of thugs that already threaten them daily. Most of the damage in the LA riots was a direct result of cops bugging out instead of enforcing the law leaving people and property open to the assault of a small number of gangsters and criminal thugs. The people who used force to stop the thugs like the Koreans knew how to stop it from spreading in their areas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.