The wages of cellphone jamming

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Papabravo, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Papabravo

Thread Starter Expert

Feb 24, 2006
  2. killivolt

Jan 10, 2010
    Reminds me, 2 brothers, little brother got punched for stupid.......shi.. again.

Rightly deserved.

3. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    I think the best route currently is you can get a low power Mobile tower. Somehow it takes the signal from their cell phone and datalogs every thing.
    So instead of

Cell > Tower < Cell
    its
    Cell > Port. Tower > Tower < Port. Tower < Cell.

I was watching a corporate security video on how they do it. Was quite fascinating but implied the equipment costs made it pro's only.

4. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    While on a recent multi-day bus tour, I entertained myself by noting the number of twits thumbing their phones while passing the bus (which is regularly at or above the interstate highway speed limit.) It is amazing to me how widespread this is.

It is proof positive that there are lots of people who are so stupid and/or so arrogant that they put their own lives and, more importantly, the lives of others in jeopardy for the sake of reading or sending some totally useless message.

I'm not "LOL!"

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
    KJ6EAD and Metalmann like this.
  5. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    Yes, texting or phoning increases reaction times. Even people walking down the street on the phone seem to have problems.
    It's illegal over here while driving, but for some reason it's not something the police put any effort into. A camera in the right place would catch thousands of people a day.

6. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Texting while driving was outlawed where I live, but not phoning, so police cannot enforce the no-text law because they don't really know whether a user is texting or dialing. Another example of a stupid law for stupid people.

7. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    They just made it illegal here like yesterday.

8. killivolt

Jan 10, 2010
    One of my Professors wrote his syllabus, no texting in class. We Monitor Technical difficulties with Broadcast Equipment and assist the professor with managing camera's and content that is sent to local High schools. One day a few kids at the local sites were txting, he busted them and was angry, I told him they need to own it.

(I thought) Keep it in the syllabus and let those who will, txt all they want. If they can't pass the final and Mommy and Daddy get upset, just show them the video. They signed off on the Admission Paper, knowing the consequence. I say let them fall on their butt, maybe they'll learn something....

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  9. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    Worse than that: have you tried holding a beer can while texting and driving?

maxpower097 likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Exactly once, I answered my cell phone while driving. I could not make sentences fast enough to carry on a conversation and I missed my left turn. That was all the proof I need that I can not talk on the phone and drive, and do either one of them well, so I quit answering the phone while I'm driving.

I don't even have to try texting while driving to know it won't work for me.

11. tindel

Sep 16, 2012
    Interesting, I didn't realize cell-phone jamming was illegal. I'm convinced that my doctors office jams cellphones... they don't work inside the building, but as soon as you walk out the door it starts working again - very annoying (not to mention the hour wait to see the doctor for 5 minutes).

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Once, I remembered my appointment time wrongly and arrived 30 minutes late. When informed of this fact, I faked an alarmed look and asked, "Oh dear, has he been waiting long?":eek:

The woman at the desk just shut her mouth because we both knew the doc was always at least an hour late.:D

13. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Can you build a "phone jammer detector"? It doesn't seem that hard.

14. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Could it be the building had enough metal in it that was grounded that if became a effective "screen room" at cellphone frequencies?

I know for a fact my at home in my apt, I can go in and out of a service area just by turning my head.

I seriously doubt your Dr is jamming.

killivolt likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    My house, only 1000 square feet (cement block structure), goes from 5 bars to 2 bars by walking to a different room.

killivolt likes this.
  16. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    I'd have loved a home like that back in my drinking days.:p

17. tindel

Sep 16, 2012
    IDK - Maybe you're right - It's in a portable building similiar to an extremely large trailer home. It's older so I don't think that metal studs had been invented when they built it.

I would think that a doctors office is some place where they would want to jam to keep people moving. They have signs everywhere asking people to stay off of their phones.

18. killivolt

Jan 10, 2010
    Why would they post a sign if they have a jammer?

19. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    In some vessels berthed at a specific section of the pier of a terminal located 100 Km from here (Zárate), when you go from main deck to the uppermost one, when climbing the ladders you know that your phone will leave the home cell and enter in roamming. Going down reverses the process.

Going little further upriver, you enter a fringe area for the Nextel service. Never had the chance to use it there. But once, waiting for a boat I asked if there was a chance to use it somehow.

The lady at the boat station pointed to a small place, just 2 x 2 meters near the pier. :eek: To my surprise communication was possible.

In the same area, there is an old ferry boat lying on the river margin, used as a temporary base for topoff and lightering of barges / vessels anchored in the vicinity.

Once on board, if you complain that there is no signal, you are asked what is your provider. Then you learn that "Movistar" has to go forward and "Personal" does better aft. :eek:

Sorry, I forgot where "Claro" has to go. :D

JoeJester and #12 like this.
  20. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    No if its a purpose built Dr.s office or medical complex it will have better insulation then normal buildings because they keep it colder then normal. So I think its more like when you phone cuts out in an elevator or walk in cooler.