The validity of superposition theorem

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by kamir, May 25, 2004.

1. kamir

Thread Starter New Member

May 25, 2004
    i have a problem in doing my circuit report.
    The report ask me to give a comment in validity in superposition theorem
    what should i write?

i have an answer given by me:
    The validity of superpostion theorem only applies in a circuit whihc is series and parallel whereby we can separate them into a simple loop like shot-circuit the voltage source and open circuit in current source.And only 1 source is allow in a loop.

Actually,i think superposition=thevenin theorem+norton theorem
    don u think so?
    thevenin calculate voltage while norton calculate current

give some comment in validity in superposition and how about my answer

2. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Superposition Theorum states:

I/V solutions for cicuits with linear bilateral components can be obtained by superimposing the part solutions from individual sources.

I think you'll find that Superposition Theorum is just another circuit analysis theorum in addition to Thevenin and Norton's theorums and there direct connection is not as such applicable. I think the answer given to you is the most accurate.

3. keithu

May 26, 2004
    Kamir

I expect the answer they want is that the superposition theorem only applies to linear circuits. Are there any non-linear elements in your circuit?

4. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Yes, but also bilateral components, otherwise this would place certain restrictions on your application of the Superposition theorum.

5. mogadeet

May 1, 2007
    hi kamir

probably the question is asking for the hypothesis of the theorem; ie: which circuits have the superposition property? hth

peace
    stm