The validity of superposition theorem

kamir

Joined May 25, 2004
i have a problem in doing my circuit report.
The report ask me to give a comment in validity in superposition theorem
what should i write?

i have an answer given by me:
The validity of superpostion theorem only applies in a circuit whihc is series and parallel whereby we can separate them into a simple loop like shot-circuit the voltage source and open circuit in current source.And only 1 source is allow in a loop.

Actually,i think superposition=thevenin theorem+norton theorem
don u think so?
thevenin calculate voltage while norton calculate current

give some comment in validity in superposition and how about my answer

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Superposition Theorum states:

I/V solutions for cicuits with linear bilateral components can be obtained by superimposing the part solutions from individual sources.

I think you'll find that Superposition Theorum is just another circuit analysis theorum in addition to Thevenin and Norton's theorums and there direct connection is not as such applicable. I think the answer given to you is the most accurate.

keithu

Joined May 26, 2004
Kamir

I expect the answer they want is that the superposition theorem only applies to linear circuits. Are there any non-linear elements in your circuit?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by keithu@May 26 2004, 12:03 PM
Kamir

I expect the answer they want is that the superposition theorem only applies to linear circuits. Are there any non-linear elements in your circuit?
Yes, but also bilateral components, otherwise this would place certain restrictions on your application of the Superposition theorum.

mogadeet

Joined May 1, 2007
hi kamir

probably the question is asking for the hypothesis of the theorem; ie: which circuits have the superposition property? hth

peace
stm