The transfer function of the Vox Clyde McCoy Wah

bitrex

Joined Dec 13, 2009
For kicks, using Maxima's help I calculated the transfer function of this famous wah pedal, see the attached image. Perhaps we can learn its secrets that way...LOL! Well, maybe not. This is one of the "high entropy" expressions The Electrician has talked about. Fortunately, instead of using nodal analysis I was able to calculate the transfer functions for the input and feedback paths independently, and those two equations are amenable to some simplifications. With some work it might be possible to get a better expression that will give an intuitive idea of what effect component variations will have. Maybe a simplified transfer function could be of interest to someone doing a DSP implementation?

Attachments

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
That was some pretty impressive eye candy regardless of the error. (That I did not and could not notice :) )

I have used the VOX McCoy for many a years. I was really impressed that you took this on.

We would use it in the studio on high hat to fill background.. Many use a Phaser or flanger.. but this was on hand.