The Tale of Two Transducers

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by MusicTech, Aug 16, 2008.

1. MusicTech

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 4, 2008
    I was just thinking, what would happen if you connected two standard Piezo transducers together? Would they both be trying to sound to electricity and then the other one's electricity to sound? I would do this my self, but I don't have two spare. Thanks
  2. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    With no input, they would sit there quietly waiting for something to happen.
  3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Assuming you feed an audio signal (maybe low ultrasonic) at their resonance freq you would get coupling, but it would be very low, somewhere in the percentage range or less. Even if they were touching I doubt you would exceed 10% by much, too much of the sound would go other ways. If you can hear it, that means it is radiating in a sphere, with the other transducer being a very small slice of the avaiable energy.

The military has some very directional speakers (I think they have other uses too) that might have some promise for this kind of coupling, but I haven't seen how it is done yet. These suckers are like sound lasers, extremely focused and directional, and can even be used as a non lethal weapon. The description on "Future Weapons" is it is like handcuffing your hands to your ears.
  4. Externet

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 29, 2005
    Piezoelectric transducers in parallel will transfer energy to each other; if the energy comes from voice, it will be barely energy to discern, but if gently tapped with your fingernails, there will be an appreciable 'transmission' from one to the other.

Same as connecting two loudspeakers in parallel. Sounds won't make much, but mechanically moving one cone will transfer the signal to the other.