The SPICE of life

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I just joined this forum....what a great forum it is, indeed. However, I've noticed there is precious little on SPICE modeling discussed. Perhaps SPICE modeling could be a thread of its own. What does everyone think? I have a lot of SPICE years under the belt, using every flavor from AimSpice to ICAP4. I'd love to do some hard core spice modeling here.

73!

Eric

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I just joined this forum....what a great forum it is, indeed.
Many thanks, and welcome to All About Circuits! Glad to see you're settling in, feel free to drop me a PM if you have an problems or suggestions.

However, I've noticed there is precious little on SPICE modeling discussed. Perhaps SPICE modeling could be a thread of its own. What does everyone think? I have a lot of SPICE years under the belt, using every flavor from AimSpice to ICAP4. I'd love to do some hard core spice modeling here.

73!

Eric
SPICE modelling does on occasions get recommendations from LTSpice through to SPICE based simulation packages such as TINA, although the technical side of SPICE doesn't seem to get much discussion at all. Why SPICE has little in the way of discussion dedicated to it is a mystery? Perhaps there is less emphasis on SPICE in the educational roadmap of todays student-engineer and this is reflected in the discussion here on the forums. Perhaps we attract a larger proportion of hobbyists who would prefer getting hands on than working through the (laborious?) task of modelling a circuit on a computer.

Either way feel free to discuss SPICE, or any other electronics related topic, on the forums - I'm sure there are many who are willing to learn from your experience and perhaps add to your own knowledge.

Dave

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
In other words...

Real smoke is so much more exciting than virtual smoke!
Bill:

You're absolutely correct. I would never teach anyone SPICE before they had some serous "bench time." Same with antenna modeling. It's a great tool...if you ALREADY have a good feel for antennas. I am grateful that I had a quarter century of smoke and r.f. burns before I ever touched a computer. But with that background, one can really use modeling to its best advantage.

eric