The Skin Effect And The Human Body

We once calculated the conductivity of water as compared to copper and found that copper is something like 7000 times more conductive than water to electricity. I can't remember the exact figure or if this was AC or DC, but it does NOT mean that the human body (96% water) is an insulator! A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing...I give this warning to everyone!

Regards, DPW [ Spent years making heaters out of op-amps.]

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
I haven't had time to do much figuring on this but two questions immediately spring to mind.

Firstly the electromagnetic waves of frequency greater than 200mHz would be smaller than a human (1.5m wavelength).

Secondly propagation of waves (=AC) depends upon the ratio of conduction current to displacement current in the medium concerned.

when ωε > σ propagation is capacitive ie the medium behaves as a dielectric.

I don't have figures for skin but seawater which should be similar

ε = 80 and σ = 4
I can reprint some data for muscle, from the book I mentioned above, at frequencies where the skin effect would start to become important.

f [MHz].......\(\sigma\) .................\(\epsilon_r\)..................p
--------------------------------------------------------------
1...............0.4 ..................2000................3.6
10.............0.63..................160 .................7.1
100...........0.89 ..................72...................2.2

The formula for skin depth for imperfect conductors like this is as follows.

\(\delta={{sqrt{2}}\over{\omega \sqrt{\mu \epsilon_r \epsilon_0 (sqrt{1+p^2}-1)}}}\)

I remember once when I was doing some TV service work for an old Norwegian TV shop owner; I didn't think the Flyback transformer was putting out any HV. He said I had plenty of voltage and with that grabbed a long (15") nutdriver and placed it under the tube anode connection and that HV crawled up the shaft into his hand. I still see that picture sometimes in my dreams. It was thrilling!

Regards, DPW

Mike33

Joined Feb 4, 2005
Yeah, I didn't intend for my 'anecdotal' reply on page 1 to be construed as any sort of guideline, hence the warning not to do it! That was merely what TESLA thought back in the infancy of AC/high voltage experimentation, say 1910. I'm the guy who stays at least 3' back from my Jacob's ladder, and I recommend that ANYONE treat all conductors as though they are energized until proven otherwise. A mild paranoia of high voltage and/or high current circuits keeps one healthy....