E-book Correction The Shockley Diode - invalid current direction

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Welcome Maksym,

I agree with you.

The EBooks on this website do nothing but confuse students coming here because it tries (and fails) to explain how semiconductors, electronics and circuits work using "Electron" current, while 99% of the real world, science, academia, and engineering uses Conventional Current.

If you spend any time here, you will learn to ignore the EBooks just as the rest of us do...

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Yeah, it's awfully confusing to think in terms of electrons moving, but if you think the other way, something with a positive charge has to jump off the front of a CRT oscilloscope at exactly the right moment to describe the voltage that is changing in the real world. The idea of a directional, proton sucking cathode does''t seem to work...so far.

Maksym Ganenko

Joined Mar 9, 2015
Thanks for you replies! I found thyristor chapter to be quite descriptive except for current direction which was confusing. I wasn't going to read the book from the beginning, so I didn't know about the "electron current" principle used for examples. Back in the school I could easily think that way, but later I found the positive current to be more convenient as you get current going from higher potential to lower potential. Also, the charge carriers can be positive for some electronic devices, like semiconductors or chemical cells.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Seriously...You have to learn to think in both directions. Positive flow is more convenient, even instinctive. If only Ben Franklin had called the electron, "positive" we wouldn't have these problems. :D

It's all relative (in the thinking process).