The Right To Be Unknown

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
There a story going around that some one from England sued Google

to be unknow on the Internet. Any comments on this.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
You have no "right" to be unknown anywhere. You gave up that "right" up when you were born. You are here and there is a record of everything you have done or owned. You may have never touched a computer that was connected to the internet, but everything you are is in a myriad of files across the net-scape. Anonimity is an illusion, and a bad one at that.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I believe loosewire's "unknown on the Internet" translates to a right to be anonymous -- not the right to be unknown in our respective countries. In other words, does someone have the right to post anonymously and to protect that anonymity? It apparently is quite an active area and early in its development, if you search on "right to be anonymous."

Here is a link from May of this year that caused a bit of a stir and includes a very brief legal analysis: http://blogs.reuters.com/alison-fra...t-to-privacy-for-anonymous-online-commenters/

I don't see how establishing and/or recognizing that right is a "backdoor" to censorship. It would seem the opposite. One risk that concerns me is the lack of responsibility for such speech. Freedom of speech is probably the most cherished of American rights. Yet even that has its limitations. For example, you can be sued for slander. How does one afford that protection to victims of anonymous Internet posts?

The test of whether the parties had an "expectation of privacy" is often applied in the US to determine whether a search warrant is needed or whether the communication is in the public domain. While I have doubts about making Internet presence truly anonymous as a right, i.e., a presence that could not be discovered by search warrant, I do think the sense of "expectation of privacy" needs to be extended to e-mails and such.

Today, many of us rarely correspond by regular mail. To me, e-mail between individuals and small groups should have the same protections as regular mail has.

John

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Privacy is not anonymity. If a couple checks in to a public hotel with covered windows and locked solid doors the default expectation is privacy in that room but they don't have the right to expect anonymity of their presence at the hotel. If the couple checks into a glass hotel (the current Internet) even with locked glass doors their expectation of privacy inside that room is an illusion no matter what the law says.

You have the right to be left alone and your actions kept private and anonymous within the limits of your private property but as soon as you interact with another the right to anonymity and privacy is lessened by the extent of your interaction with society at large.

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I don't see that the Internet should afford any less privacy than a person-to-person telephone call. So far, our government has held there is a difference. But, of course, that serves its own purposes.

What real qualitative difference is there between analog and digital communication with respect to an expectation of privacy? Except for the low transmission speeds, one could use a modem across the regular telephone line and be protected.

BTW, I don't have the experience of ever checking into either a glass hotel or no-tell hotel with a woman. So, maybe I am missing something in the analogy. :D

John

Polymorphism

Joined Aug 10, 2014
You have no "right" to be unknown anywhere. You gave up that "right" up when you were born. You are here and there is a record of everything you have done or owned. You may have never touched a computer that was connected to the internet, but everything you are is in a myriad of files across the net-scape. Anonimity is an illusion, and a bad one at that.
I am all for the Police knowing us all. But not the general population.

Monday morning. 800 hours. Deploy to the Police station to stand up STRAIGHT for an hour to get the 'all clear'

Basically we line up for food rations and show our respect for the law.

Easy greasy.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I am all for the Police knowing us all. But not the general population.

Monday morning. 800 hours. Deploy to the Police station to stand up STRAIGHT for an hour to get the 'all clear'

Basically we line up for food rations and show our respect for the law.

Easy greasy.
And I am not! It is in my genes from my grandparents who left that kink of 'ism. I have never lowered myself to receiving food rations.

John

Gee..... 8:00 AM at the police station is kind of an odd place and time to have your sexual preference checked. You Aussies can be a strange lot.

OK.....What does it really mean??
Don't question the system. Stand over here. No no stand over there. NO! stand anywhere.
NO NO NO! stand up STRAIGHT so you can s*it yourself properly!

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
I have built two dune buggies. I am what you call a "duner". My wife and I connect up with other duner friends at the Imperial Sand Dunes in southern California. It is too hot right now, the season starts mid October.

The red one is mine and the blue one is my wife's.

Attachments