The Packrat strikes again...

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
:eek:After I strip them from the " no-no source " mentioned earlier, { smashed car-parts } I get to skull out the best power parameters for 12 volt LED's as mentioned elsewhere.

No automobile mods going down here, just a source of parts

Now here is what I d/n know... are these actually 12 volt ? as most small ones only seem to want 3v max...

They are some gloriously bright sob's...

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I've been known to dive into a dumpster from time to time. I have a few fine pieces of antique furniture rescued from dumpsters or the roadside. But the dumpster next to one former place of work was the best.

I had one circuit in development for a couple of years; it was a back burner thing to improve the main product from a credit card PCB under an ice cube sized sensor to a postage stamp PCB inside the sensor. Redesigned from 8 chips down to two, and changed the connector from 0.1" to 0.05" center sized. The problem was we did not have the tool to crimp the pin used in the connector. But wandering outside one day I noticed something in the neighbor's dumpster: same style connectors with 6" plus black wires. Popped the wired and had plenty for all the prototypes I needed.

The next year seems the same company needed hundreds of inexpensive radio controllers, and the cheapest solution for them was to buy a radio controlled car, remove the controls, and toss the car. So I find hundreds of 1/8th scale mini Coopers (all red) over a few weeks. Gave them out to the kids in the neighborhood during a block party and they loved them.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
LED's typically are 2 - 4V. The series resistor will determine what voltage you can connect.
I will only be using these in applications based on 12 v... Nice to know I can go lower voltage... I'm thinking a VCO based on a 555 chip for the firing circuit of the strobe I mentioned... Lots of fun at any rate...

I have a lot to learn, and glad I have an almost inexhaustable source of the little buggers...

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
You only have to limit the current. For example, if you have 2V LED's that are spec'd at 100mA, then for 12v, connect a series resistor of value:

R = (12 - 2)/.1 = 100 ohms.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Well I have to one up you. :p

I was talking with the mechanics at work today and asked what they do with our used antifreeze that comes out of our fraccing equipment when they do engine work.

Company policy is that none of it gets reused when engine work is done even if the stuff was only in the unit for a day so we get lots.

Anyway I just picked up~600 gallons of premixed commercial antifreeze treated with corrosion inhibitors and water wetters in 330 gallon tote tanks for free!

Oh yea they also tossed in a third 330 gallon tote tank of used oil for my boiler too.

BTW I get to keep the tote tanks too! :D
What does one do with 600 gallons of antifreeze? even in North Dakota?

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
What does one do with 600 gallons of antifreeze? even in North Dakota?
Anything I want! :D

I gave half to my brother for his boiler that I built for him last year and I plan to put some of my half in my boiler one of these days as well plus anyone who comes to visit gets a free 5 gallon bucket too.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Anything I want! :D

I gave half to my brother for his boiler that I built for him last year and I plan to put some of my half in my boiler one of these days as well plus anyone who comes to visit gets a free 5 gallon bucket too.
Is your spare bedroom available the third week of January? I was hoping for -40 temps and, now that you are offering 5-gallons of antifreeze, I just can't resist a trip to western NoDak.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Probably. Odds are my room is available too if I am at work.;)

(Wife sleeps in daughters room most of the time when I am gone any way.) :rolleyes: