The Packrat strikes again...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by PackratKing, Dec 23, 2014.

1. PackratKing

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2008
    There have been { Still are } some projects based on 12 v led's I've been champing at the bit to get going on, but the cost of the dang things from a packrat pov, is prohibitive...

One brainfart later, I got a good source of relatively decent units... White, red, and yellow so far... Who knows...

I went to my local string of body shops, to ask about the possibility of snagging some smashed-up head and tail-light assemblies from late model fenderbenders ??

Voila !!! I got more dang led's than six people could use in a lifetime... for the effort of removing them from the junk !

2. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Good score!

3. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    Well I have to one up you. :p

I was talking with the mechanics at work today and asked what they do with our used antifreeze that comes out of our fraccing equipment when they do engine work.

Company policy is that none of it gets reused when engine work is done even if the stuff was only in the unit for a day so we get lots.

Anyway I just picked up~600 gallons of premixed commercial antifreeze treated with corrosion inhibitors and water wetters in 330 gallon tote tanks for free!

Oh yea they also tossed in a third 330 gallon tote tank of used oil for my boiler too.

BTW I get to keep the tote tanks too! :D

PackratKing and shortbus like this.
  4. killivolt

Jan 10, 2010
    Use and re-use. I would say there are many who don't know. But; many use and re-use all over the planet.

I say don't throw it. If you can find someone who needs it. Even if it cost a little time; to get it to someone (e.g. Storage time cost). Ask around don't just throw it.

To much energy is wasted in the end. Just re-use and dispose of it in a proper way.

kv

PackratKing likes this.
  5. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Hola PK, long time I do not read you

Natives and their jargon o_O o_O :eek: :eek: It took me some time to find the meaning of all expressions you are using here. Not precissely what they teach at school. :p :p

What is not clear to me: those "12V LEDs" you got, do they come with drivers fed with 12V? Just the LEDs, I suppose, they are common ones, right?

Wondering if I could do the same here and get some from "body shops" :) ?

BTW, anything between { }, Google translator ignores it. :(

6. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    I just tried it, but it didn't like you said, why?

7. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    I have tried this:

See the results by yourself.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Be happy that PK does not spell badly! :D

Felice Navidad!

9. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    It looks nothing special and almost the same to me.
    so I still don't understand what's wrong.

QuoteTest.gif

QuoteTest-02.gif

10. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Hola ScottWang,

I rechecked it. In my case it returns nothing in between (and the equivalent, immediately after). Just in case better we do not asume it works the same wehn going to different languages.

1ra prueba.png

2da prueba.png

11. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Yes, it is OK for me. :p :)

Gracias. Merry Christmas to you all!

12. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    OK, thanks.
    I think it happens in different language, I will remember that.

13. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    What are you going to do with those LEDs, rebuild them and sell them?

14. BR-549

Sep 22, 2013
    Great idea on the LED's. I will add that to my scrounge database.

tcmtech's score would be hard to beat.

I once acquired a barely used 100 gal SS still, used to make lab water. I used it many years until I moved down here. Some fellows in the next county bought it from me. That was 14 years ago. As far as I know it's still cooking in Franklin Co. VA.

Happy New Year.

15. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    What SS and still mean in this context?

You mentioned cooking as well. ???

16. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    ss = stainless steel
    still = a combination of a boiler and condenser used to distill (purify) water. Also, used to make whiskey and other hard liquors.

17. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    :p
    I have this strange aversion to buying things new, when perfectly good items can be had for free or next to it...

Briefly... I hope ... I worked in a textile mill, making circular doubleknits... One of the major pieces of analytic equipment was a stop-motion strobe, fired by a VCO up to 20K flashes / second... similar to a strobe timing light for use on cars... It would make the needles appear to stand still while the machine was knitting @ 30+ rpm... and based on flash rate, you could make the needles appear to march backward / forward...

Their equip, was based on photographic strobes, requiring some high-voltage circuitry... The rise / fall time of an LED, is equal or better than the xenon tube, so the same equip can be built w/ relatively lame 12v instead of HV...

There are any number of circuits they can be used in, limited only by imagination I suppose ...

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  18. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008

Dang !!! Just goes to show what one can get when in the right place/time !!! There were a couple large brand-new tractors at the Deere dealer I worked for, that had to have the entire onboard hydraulic oil replaced... I now own 40 gallons on next-to-virgin Hyd. oil, that I haven't a freekin' clue what to do w/ all of it...

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  19. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008

20. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Now..! Alambique in Spanish.

Thanks.