The Package name alphabet

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by funkyguy4000, Aug 16, 2012.

1. funkyguy4000

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Hello everybody!

I've been trying to make the package acronyms a little easier to understand for those who are new to electronics. I already have a couple articles out about them but I thought i'd bring on a new take on explaining them. Usually one would get the most common package names and explain them, in my post I describe the possibilities that each letter can mean. Basically a naming alphabet.

So here is the link!
    http://funkyguy4000.wordpress.com/2012/08/14/integrated-circuit-alphabet/

-The Funkiester

2. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Nice list, I've never seen it presented that way.

3. SteveHow

Jul 2, 2012
    The makings of an electronics definition dictionary? Well done.

4. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Interesting and useful, but potentially not too stable. By this I mean that a new package could come out tomorrow that called a HDQA for Half-density quenched assembly. While I suspect that new package designers do have a tendency to reuse terms already in common use, if they apply, I doubt they will shy away from using a letter to mean something else.

Also, while I realize that you aren't claiming to be complete, there are a few other ones you might add.

J: J-leaded, such as the SOJ and JLCC packages.

T: Transistor, such as SOT and TO package families (which are used for small-pin count IC's as well as transistors, voltage regulators being perhaps the most common example).

You should also make mention of a pretty common package that doesn't fit your alphabet, namely the SOIC. According to your alphabet, this would be a through-hole part known as a Small Outline Inline Chip.

Others, such as MLCC, are probably sufficiently unusual not to warrant mentioning. But there probably should be a note to the effect that any of the letters could be used to mean other things. Several of the descriptions stongly imply (as in flat out state) that they are ONLY used for one thing. Perhaps the most glaring is M, for which you categorically state that "You will only ever see this in the MCM package", but then immediately give three examples where it is used otherwise.

You've got some wording that probably needs some work:

"If you are new to electronics, you are probably seeing packages with an I in them very often."

Does this mean that if you aren't new to electronics that you probably aren't seeing these packages very often?

"If you have a package that has just one “S”, then you can safely assume that it is “small”."

After telling people that a single S can safely be assumed to mean small, you then immediately describe two common packages where that was not a safe assumption. At the very least, it should be remarked that this is an exception to the rule.

At then end of the S section, you then have, "That means package is the same size as the silicone." Don't silicone packages come in lettered sized, such as C, D, DD, DDD? ;)

Hopefully you find the feedback useful.