'The Package attribute' for PCB netlist export ?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by webcord, Jul 31, 2011.

1. webcord

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 31, 2011
    I am a luthier, new to electronics and want to make several simple modules such as pre-amps, equalisers etc for putting into acoustic/electric instruments.
    I have found plenty of schematics for what I need and have a couple of free pcb mdesign programs. However although I understand the schematics ok I come unstuck when the prog asks for the "Package attribute" for creating a PCB netlist export . As I understand it , this is a reference number relating to the "footprint" of each component, so that the pcb design program knows the size of each component?
    The question is , I can't find anywhere that tells me where to find this packsge attribute, and the examples make no sense to me.
    Hopefully this is a simple question which everyone except me knows the answer to!
    Or maybe I am being stupid, either way I would very much appreciate a simple answer as to how I find this information.
    -scematic prog ; TinyCad
    pcb layout ;VeeCad
    Thanks in advance,
    Steve

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Are you a member of the Yahoo! TinyCad User's Group?
    http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/tinycad/
    If not, you should join, as there are over 3,000 members, and lots of help available. You'll need to first establish a free Yahoo! account if you don't have one already.

TinyCad and FreePCB reportedly work quite well together, but TinyCad as supplied does not have any package information in the library. This is understandable, as TinyCad was developed for drawing schematics, and not necessarily for creating PCB's - it would be quite a lot of effort for someone to add all of the package attributes for all of the parts in the library, but it's not so bad if you're just doing a few of them at a time when you need to export a netlist.

From a search in that forum, I found a similar inquiry:
    And the reply:
    What I get from this is after clicking on it to get the Tool, then clicking Add to get:
    'Other Yes ...'
    then overtype Other so you wind up with:
    'Package Yes ...'
    And then where "..." is, fill in the name of the package that is being used, like:
    'Package Yes DIP16'

I haven't used TinyCad (yet!) but I'm going to give it a whirl.

Try that and see if it works for you.

Note: TinyCad was just updated 3 days ago; they fixed some bugs. If you downloaded the program before then, install the latest version.

[eta]
    I downloaded TinyCad and plopped a 741 opamp into a blank drawing, and the tool popped up.
    I clicked the "Add" button on the bottom, and overtyped "Other" with "Package", and the "..." with "DIP8". You probably won't want to have the package displayed on the schematic; just left-click the "Yes" until it turns to "No".

[eta]
    Before exporting your netlist, you really should make certain that all of your reference designators (IE: U1, R3, C2 etc.) are unique, as if they are not it can cause headaches with other programs.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  3. webcord

Jul 31, 2011
    Thanks for that, I have spent hours trawling through the help and keep getting told the same old thing, ie how to add the Package attribute.
    My question however is WHERE do I find this attribute, I know how to add it but dont know where to find it!, your example says... fill in the name of the package that is being used, like:
    'Package Yes DIP16'

Q. where did the "DIP 16" COME FROM? This is my question.
    thanks
    Steve

4. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    The "DIP16" or whatever is appropriate is determined by whatever is in the ExpressPCB library (or whatever PCB software you are exporting the netlist to).

I only am suggesting ExpressPCB because that is what people who use TinyCad have found that it is easily compatible with, and ExpressPCB is free.

5. webcord

Jul 31, 2011
    Thank you, now I see, it seems that the default libraries in tinycad are not the ones you should use, you can import tinycad libs from veecad, which include the info.Unfortunately the free vwersion does not have all of the required files to complete a circuit so in my case I will just draw my own board as they are basic small layouts.
    Thanks again for the info, no doubt I will be back with more questions in the future.
    Cheers
    Steve

6. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    To be completely honest, I don't recall having ever looked at TinyCad before this thread started. I can only suggest that the Yahoo! TinyCad user's group would probably get you replies from people with vastly more experience with the program.

There's a fellow named Steve who started his own Wiki about contributions to the TinyCad libraries. You might want to look at it:
    http://steves-wiki.wikispaces.com/Parts_Library