The Metalbot Project: an open source initiative...

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
A few notes - just my opinion but I think a simpler design to get started will be better. Additional complexity can be added in future updates...

The powder feed system could be simplified by using a gravity drop and screw feeder instead of a hydraulic ram. Just drop on the leading edge of the screeding ram and it will be easily distributed, similar to existing powder metallurgy (press and sinter) processes.

Gas enclosure will be fine for non-reactive metals but to really remove air that is entrained in the powder, you will need to apply vacuum and then back-fill with inert gas. Most important for titanium (i still think titanium and all accessories to accomodate titanium should be left off of a base verison).

Do you really want to use three lasers? I am guessing that controlling them all to the same point will likely be more work (and yield lower resolution) than a single higher powered laser.

Pulsed

Joined Sep 10, 2012
Great! Thanks for your input.

This is definitely a design that will be added to the next model. It will reduce the footprint of the machine considerably.

For Metalbot V1.0 we don't want anything fancy :cool: . It will be an experimental unit. That is why we decided to go with the gantry instead of the laser scanner. CNC parts and software are common and will be easiest to access for people who will be building one. It also makes it far simpler to mount different lasers and lenses to the tool head instead of redesigning the optics for a scanner.

We will be using a 'linear actuator' to move the build platform up and down, so basically a ball screw and stepper motor.

Powder recycling can also be made simpler (in terms of metal work).

Gas proofing the atmosphere is a problem that still needs a lot of consideration.

One idea was to build a gas proof box and 'burn' out the oxygen leaving C02. :rolleyes:

Three was arbitrarily picked just to illustrate the idea of using multi lasers . There are some experiments that will be conducted later this year on using multi lasers beams which should prove to be very interesting.