The Messy Minds of Creative People...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by cmartinez, Dec 25, 2014.

1. cmartinez

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    Here's an article that I'm sure lots of members of this forum might enjoy.

sirch2 likes this.
  2. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    And many will take as a validation of their habit of keeping a real mess in their benches. ;) :p

cmartinez likes this.
  3. cmartinez

Jan 17, 2007
    In my experience, I've found that people that work alone have their own chaotic way of keep things in order... even if it looks like a mess to the outsider. Problem is, that system just won't cut it when heavily networked teamwork is required.

4. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    I can never find anything after my wife cleans up after me.

PackratKing, shortbus and #12 like this.
  5. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Isnt clear if the photo has anything to do with the article, or the author, or if it is a stock photo with no correlation, propaganda of a kind.

[​IMG]

In 90% of these cases whatever you read or hear, actually described what the author is into, and has little to nothing to do with reality.

Not entirely sure about this:

[​IMG]

6. cmartinez

Jan 17, 2007
    I'm especially sure about that... most of the time I practice structured procrastination on a project until the pressure builds up and then I release all of my creative energy at it... it's a rather stressful vicious cycle for me sometimes... but I haven't been able to change that, no matter how hard I try...

7. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    In my experience, I find this article spot on. However, it's diagrams may be a bit misleading. The "F*ck Off" stage is really a playful stage, where one plays with the idea, learns what its about and plays around with options. All this playing looks to the outside, real, normal world like, well, playing! It's also the "Awesome" and "Tricky" stages. The end of this stage is "Panic", as the inevitable deadline no longer seems so far away.

It is but what is necessary for the next step, still part of the "F*ck Off" stage, which is the simmering , baking or incubation stage. Its when the vagueness of playing starts to come together into the firmness of Idea! This step carries us through the "Is sh*t" and "I am sh*t" stages, to the "Might Work" stage, also known as "Illumination".

All that remains is to take these new ideas and implement them, or the "Crying" or "Verification" stage.

I knew I went through these stages, just never named them. What is not mentioned by anyone yet nor the article, is the outside, real, normal world that all we are doing for most of the time is sitting on our *ss. Well Hah! I not sitting on my *ss, I am creating!

PackratKing likes this.
  8. cmartinez

Jan 17, 2007
    That is so true... to the ordinary outsider, an engineer that's profoundly meditating and pondering all the different options and approaches to solve a problem looks as if he or she is only sitting on their tushies ... waiting for some solution to simply fall off the sky ! ... geessshhh... I'm not sleeping 'ma! I'm consulting my inner "problem solver" !!!!

atferrari likes this.
  9. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    If instead of "Fu.. off" it was named something like "pondering things" the humorous effect would be lost but would result closer to reality.

Sinus23 and cmartinez like this.
  10. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Always thought it was, "a clean bench/shop is the sign of a sick mind".

I use the mess as a theft deterrent, if it can't be found it can't be stolen.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Well, that's a new twist to my motto, "A part (or a tool) you can't find is every bit as useful as a part (or a tool) you don't have."

It certainly explains the mess at my partners house. Nobody has stolen a tool from him for years and years. :D

shortbus likes this.
  12. killivolt

Jan 10, 2010
    I make it far to easy for the thief's; I have always put the tool back into the box unless it's a screw driver or hammer. My multimeter or Oscilloscope and soldering Iron is also something that stays out. Things that I might not use for a while go back into the box. Battery Charger, Tile Saw etc. I'm always looking for a screw driver or hammer?

Worse part is I think those items are in the box. Nope gone when my idiot son got addicted to drugs. To the tune of $3,000 in tools missing; just empty boxes.:mad:

It's best to be messy.

kv

Sinus23 likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    All of us probably know some person with addiction problems.:(

14. killivolt

Jan 10, 2010
    I spent another $8000 and he's been clean for 4 years now. Fingers crossed; I would rather have him. I can alway purchase more tools eventually.

Two of his friends didn't make it. (overdosed)

I think they gave him his wake up call.

kv

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Yeah, that Not Waking Up is a problem. :( I got tired of burying fools about 25 years ago. Then again, when you occupy a population that is past 60 years old, most of the serious fools have already met Darwin. :rolleyes:

killivolt and PackratKing like this.
  16. justtrying

Mar 9, 2011
    Know a few people at work with spotless neatest benches and desks you will ever see. Makes management happy. Guess what thou? Those are the people who don't do anything :p

killivolt, cmartinez and #12 like this.
  17. cmartinez

Jan 17, 2007
    Or maybe people with the least results...

18. cmartinez

Jan 17, 2007
    Glad to hear your son is still on the wagon... I have a nephew that we had to intervene as a family, and forcibly checked into rehab... we tricked him into thinking he was going for a medical check, and when he walked into what he thought was an ordinary clinic he was immediately surrounded by five huge dudes who informed him that he was staying for good for at least 8 months... he didn't like it when he learned he had been tricked... but then after he had been made aware of all own his lies and tricks and falsehoods (he had even begun to start stealing) he finally had a taste of his own medicine... He's been there for 3 months now (didn't even let him out for Christmas), and I can tell that the experience has already changed him in a positive way... he's only 17 and is now beginning to see what the real world looks like...
    Again, I'm glad that your son's been clean. And (from what you say) that he wants to stay that way.

19. killivolt

Jan 10, 2010
    Work; behind my computer desk small area; plus I have another one for testing equipment on the side of my computer desk. They all look similar not to busy not to clean lol

[​IMG]

Home; defiantly busy but lazy too!

[​IMG]

kv

20. cmartinez

Jan 17, 2007
    Glad to see you're a fan of the Beatles and Neil Young... now we've got something in common... :)

Sinus23 likes this.