The law

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
most (if not all) municipalities have the right to implement laws that protect the populace. One of the most basic laws in North America is adherence to standard building codes. Although you could build a structure to any specificiation, your local bylaws likely dictate that certain structures must be built to some minimum code, which a permit and inspection are part of the process.

The application of the Electrical code is no different. Installations must be permitted/inspected/approved, as are any modifications. Municipalities often hold the right to inspect any installation connected to the utility, and can issue an order to comply or disconnect.

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
Initially when I wanted to be an electrician we were "made" with the attitude,

"Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong."

BS7671: Wiring Regulations are non-statutory for us brits, but they could be held against you in the court of law in the advent of a serious injury or even death.

I have a tendency not to get myself involved with "cowboys" who think bad a** practice is the norm.

My house is a Tera-Tera earthing arrangement and how that ground conductor makes its way to our earth electrode outside is most illuminating.

It is good practice to get any modifications made on domestic installations signed off by a competent electrician. If the house changes ownership, a full inspection and test is a must.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
reading through the electrical code of houston. some high points:
201.3 Right of Entry. When it is necessary to make an inspection to enforce any of the provisions of this
code, or whenever the building official has reasonable cause to believe that there exists in a building or
upon a premises a condition that is contrary to or in violation of this code that makes the building or
premises unsafe, dangerous or hazardous, the building official may enter the building or premises at all
reasonable times to inspect the same or to perform any duty imposed on the building official by this code,
provided that if the building or premises is occupied, the building official shall first present proper
credentials and request entry. If entry is refused, the building official or an authorized representative shall
have recourse to every remedy provided by law to secure entry.
apparently they are the same as game warden, in that they don't need a warrant to enter your house.
Any person who violates or causes a violation of any provision of this code shall be guilty of a
misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not more than $2,000.00 nor
less than $400.00 unless otherwise specified herein; provided, however, if a person is convicted of any
offense under this code that is also a violation of the penal laws of the State of Texas, the person shall be
subject to the penalties set out in the penal laws of Texas for the offense. Each day that any violation
continues shall constitute and be punishable as a separate offense.
make sure you don't install your tesla coil before you go on vacation.
SECTION 205—TAMPERING
It shall be unlawful for any person to bridge, tamper with or change from its original installation, any fuse
of any type installed in any panelboard, main switch or switchboard, or to alter or change any circuit
breaker so that the fuse or circuit breaker will not function properly. It is a defense to prosecution under
this section that the work was done upon previous approval of the building official.
301.1 Permits Required. It shall be unlawful for any person to install, alter, repair, replace or remodel
any electrical system or equipment regulated by this code, except as specified in Section 301.2, or cause
the same to be done, unless the person has a current permit for the work or is working under the
supervision of a person who has a permit.
401.2 Required. It shall be unlawful for any person who does not hold a current and valid applicable city
license or registration issued under this chapter or an applicable state electrical license to perform
electrical work, electrical maintenance work, outside electrical work, residential electrical work or sign
electrical work.
It shall be unlawful for any person to employ or utilize any person who does not hold a current and
valid applicable city license or registration issued under this chapter or an applicable state electrical
license to perform electrical work, electrical maintenance work, outside electrical work, residential
electrical work or sign electrical work.
The city shall not issue new electrical licenses other than contractor licenses. A person who holds a
current and valid city electrical license may renew such license as provided in this code.
A person who holds a current valid state electrical license is not required to hold a city registration,
provided that a holder of a state electrical contractor license or a state electrical sign contractor license
must hold a city registration to perform work as a contractor.
so apparently if you live in houston like me, you can't touch your own electrical unless you are a licensed electrician. even if you are capable and do it according to code.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Now look at the regulations for a small TX town with a population under 100k.

You'll see a pretty big difference.

It's a universal rule, big cities are more restrictive than small towns, in EVERY area from electric to construction to firearm ownership to rifle ranges to sidewalk and driveway maintenance, and a host of other baffling things. I forgot the town, but all the businesses had signs that said on the front door "These doors must be unlocked during business hours". Not sure why, exactly.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
yeah I was wondering how this is going to affect my future plans. I envision myself building (most of) my own house, and if I have the means, off-grid with solar power. Now most likely I would do this way outside city limits, but for arguement sake, let's say I wanted to demolish my current house and build my new off-the-grid house on the existing foundation. Would I not be able to change any settings on my charge controller? Would I need to call a licensed electrician to come change out my battery bank every few years? or replace a broken solar panel?

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009

You'll see a pretty big difference.

It's a universal rule, big cities are more restrictive than small towns, in EVERY area from electric to construction to firearm ownership to rifle ranges to sidewalk and driveway maintenance, and a host of other baffling things. I forgot the town, but all the businesses had signs that said on the front door "These doors must be unlocked during business hours". Not sure why, exactly.
I don't believe any one jurisdiction has the right to opt out of the electrical code, unless they are being supplied by a non regulated authority, as it is often the authority that insists compliance is maintained. The regulations are often more difficult to monitor in rural areas where inspectors are few and hacks more prevelant.