The joys of being 21

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
I still yet have to see the big fuss.
Im 21 and still the same guy, no changes. No beard, no wise thoughts, just me, my girlfriend and a workshop!

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
happy birthday Mitch.

On my 21st birthday, I was four months into my 12 month tour at 52 49 44.134 N 173 10 49.528 E

Manage to spend my 30th birthday there too. Yeah, they were called orders, not invitations. :D

With the 20-20 hindsight found via Google Earth, I hereby withdraw the above joke.

Atu Island it is then. Scraping the barrel for more humor, I feel compelled to ask if Joe was able to see Russia from over the base fence , but I won't.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Sparky,

The fishing was outstanding.

The little creek you see next to the building you could walk across because of the number of salmon. Once in 1983, four of us filled the back of a pickup truck with salmon and sent them 40 miles east to Shemya.

A three hundred pound halibut was pulled from Massacre Bay ...

Dolly Varden were plentiful.

I took a hotplate and an old clothing locker and made a smoker. One brine recipe called for enough salt to float an egg. The side effect was someone had to restock the bar within 30 minutes of people eating fish smoked using that recipe.

There is little fishing pressure as the only occupants of that island were those assigned there.

Catfish ...

We use to say "on a clear day you can pi$$ on tomorrow" relying on the fact that the international dateline swings out to just west of the island.

More info about that little property can be found in the 1000 mile war, and http://www.loran-history.info/attu/attu.htm

On a side note, there were bird watchers who paid Attu Tours and camped out at the Murder Point Loran Buildings to enjoy their past time.

Last edited:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Congratulations Mitch!

At what age:

Can you buy spirits?
Marry not needing your parents permission?
Can you get a driver licence?
Can you vote?
Can you sign valid / legal contracts?
Could you be tried in a court?

At 18 or 21?

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
happy birthday Mitch.

On my 21st birthday, I was four months into my 12 month tour at 52 49 44.134 N 173 10 49.528 E

Manage to spend my 30th birthday there too. Yeah, they were called orders, not invitations. :D
When flying from Los Angeles to Tokio I had the chance to see the Aleutians for several minutes, obviously from very high. I couldn't believe it! Beauties of the great circle navigation.

BTW, I do not recall seeing you there, Joe...:p

(From the first take off to the last landing, Buenos Aires - Seoul, just 39h 40m)

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
sparky,

You might be interested in this ...

It must have been nice for the crew to have beer battered halibut ... for a long time. :D

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Sgt,

That wasn't me ... but I did my fair share of fishing on the island, walking the little streams and such. I caught a couple of ugly fish in Massacre Bay that I never identified, but they were tasty, and I'm still alive 30 years later. :D

And yes, I caught your drift, as I used those same words before. :D