The Jokes thread

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
New, New Math
I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2
and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and
gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while
looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to
tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help.
While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and
cried... Why do I tell you this? Because of the evolution in teaching math
since the 1960s:

1. Teaching Math In 1960s (when I was in school)
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5
of the price. What is his profit ?

2. Teaching Math In 1970s
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5
of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1980s
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is
$80. Did he make a profit ? Yes or No

4. Teaching Math In 1990s
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80
and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 2000s
A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and
inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the
preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20.
What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class
participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels
feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if
you feel like crying, it's ok).

6. Teaching Math In 2010
Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la
producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?
ANSWER: His profit was $375,000 because his logging business is just a front
for his pot farm.

1chance

Joined Nov 26, 2011
LOL! I had seen this problem expanded over the decades since about about 1980, but had not seen it since 2010 had been added to it! Sad but probably true!! (By the way, in the field of education I saw the 2000's as emphasizing "writing skills" over math skills even in math classes.)

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Ya !! I get these kinda Math errors from girls at the register..nowadays.

U see there are too keen on crunching no.s in to the calculator rather than use their heads.

Result is their incapacity to do anything themselves. and yet they hold a freakin A+ in Mathematics.

1chance

Joined Nov 26, 2011
Result is their incapacity to do anything themselves. and yet they hold a freakin A+ in Mathematics.[/QUOTE]

Not in my math classes they don't!! An A in one of my classes is earned, treasured and really means something (but most of my students don't end up working at a burger joint either!)

1chance

Joined Nov 26, 2011
I think one of the reasons I avoid fast food (besides the food itself!) is the workers as I don't deal well with incompetence. I argued once with a Taco Bell employee who had a professionally printed advertisement up for tacos at .39 cents each. I told him that I either wanted 10 tacos for 39 cents or he had to take the sign down. The manager finally took down the sign when he saw I wasn't going to budge!! My traveling mate was SOOOOOO embarrassed, but sometimes you just have to take a stand on the side of being right.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
This happened in the early days of Traffic light usage.

We never know how to follow them guidelines, which side to wait if we are to turn or go straight..rather clumsy I would say all of us behaved.

But this incident is not concerning that but happened before mobile usage while driving was prohibited.

I saw one guy on a two wheeler, rather wannabe bad gang looks on him with all the fancy chains and stuff.
He was at front at a red light. He was on the phone when he stopped. So naturally he lit a cigarette and was chatting away rather cool.

Once every second he would look at the lights to see if it is green.. I enjoy these kinda scene. I tend to walk rather then ride. One hand was on the phone, the other he had the butt.

He wasn't giving attention to the light when it turned green, the guy next to him took off, so this guy also took off with in a second. His hands were free

Wonder how his hands got free.

As soon the guy next to him throttled, he threw away the phone, and put the fag butt into his shirt pocket and woooooooom!! there he goes.

I nearly flat lined at the cross road laughing..:D

Last edited:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I think one of the reasons I avoid fast food (besides the food itself!) is the workers as I don't deal well with incompetence. I argued once with a Taco Bell employee who had a professionally printed advertisement up for tacos at .39 cents each. I told him that I either wanted 10 tacos for 39 cents or he had to take the sign down. The manager finally took down the sign when he saw I wasn't going to budge!! My traveling mate was SOOOOOO embarrassed, but sometimes you just have to take a stand on the side of being right.
Now THAT'S how you do it! :D

I've come across those signs a lot before, and it always really bugs me! I should try that sometime :p

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Errrmm, you should have been able to get 100 tacos for 39 cents.:p

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
D

What is your definition of old? I went to school in the 60's and consider myself pleasantly middleaged. Each year I push my definition of "old" back two years so I'll never catch up to it!:D
hahaha, that is my point exactly! :D Strantor said he was under the impression that I was "young", but I just posted about being in school in the 60's. I was just kind of picking on him :p

1chance

Joined Nov 26, 2011
This brings to mind a Sachel Page (the baseball player) quote, "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?" For me, I'm forever stuck at 32 (the age not the year!)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
killivolt Off-Topic 10
KL7AJ Off-Topic 1
Sparky49 Feedback and Suggestions 4
electronis whiz Off-Topic 2
electronis whiz Off-Topic 1