The Home Project

farhan89

Joined Feb 13, 2010
Hello All,
hope u all are fine !
Guyz I am looking for some cool Ideas related to Final year Projects, I am currently doing Electronics Engineering , so idea should be related to it.

I have 1 Idea to which i gave the name of "Intelligent Home"
The project is like i will make a Small Home [Scaled version of Home] that has some intelligent features like, If i will say Lamp on , so the lamp will be on and if i say Fan on then fan will gets on,

Similarly if i am not at home and some one wants to enter the house i got message on my cellphone that door opened forcely, and if i reply close all doors and windows and activate alarm then all windows and doors will be closed with alarm activation,

If i am not at home and i forgot to turn off the water motor then i just got to know it , i just text a message to my home number and it will gets off,

Every thing should be voice and mobile operated

Is this practically Possible???

I need ur help Guyz

Thanks !

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
A system like this would have important safety issues. For instance, the automatic locking feature must not be activated at the wrong time, such as during a house fire. Similarly, you would not want your water supply to turn on or off unexpectedly.

Another difficulty with voice activated systems is discriminating between actual commands and other sounds. Generally voice recognition is not very reliable even under ideal circumstances. In a noisy home environment it might be far more difficult.

You would also have to think of the security aspect of connecting the system to the telephone network. What might happen if a criminal could use the system? At the very least, a secure access protection arrangement would be necessary.

farhan89

Joined Feb 13, 2010
Since It's an Initial Project so there would be no measure Issues for it, Now i want to make it , Who can help me on this project,Also if any1 has better Ideas for FYP then Kindly tell me

russpatterson

Joined Feb 1, 2010
If you're just building a scale model for a project then don't worry about the safety issues and go for it. In real life... I wouldn't hook one of my DIY gadgets to my house like you describe.

Look at the sensors they sell on places like SparkFun.com and the Aurduino web sites. You'll get practical ideas of what sensors you can use and how to use them to control things like lights, door locks, etc. There are lots of projects to check out that do similar things. I haven't seen the voice recognition but this is likely available on an IC these days as most cell phones have the capability.

Have fun.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
One of the possibilities for a simple home energy project is a wireless set up to modify registers (the air vents for air conditioners and heaters into individual rooms). This should be as simple as possible, and controlled or programmed by a central computer.

The idea is close off the rooms not in use (at that time of day) from the heating and air conditioning, but bring them up when they are about to be occupied.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
One of the problems I see with your problem statement ("intelligent home") and the examples presented (i.e., voice or remote activated whatnots) is that saying "lamp on" and the light turns on is not intelligence. It is remote control. An intelligent example might be the lamp senses ambient light, outdoor light, and the presence of a person to determine whether it should be on.

So, do you want a remote activated home or an intelligent home?

John

farhan89

Joined Feb 13, 2010
I want an Intelligent home, as it's my Final year project so That's not a big deal that it should sense people and ambient light, one can make future modifications like u say

farhan89

Joined Feb 13, 2010
I want to know some good speech recognition ICs and Matlab is best suited for any other software for recording speeches and locking frequencies on some commands, like it should open the door on my voice only