The harm of Smoke from soldering tin

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
We are all going to die of something. My mom worked around fiber glass. I would try not to breath the fumes, but if it isn't that it will be something else. You need to lobby your government to improve safety. From the stories I've been reading they are slowly getting it.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Aortic valve sclerosis is thought to be more common among people who work with Tin and breath Tin vapor on a daily basis. There has been some research done by several institutes. Google could tell you more.

If this is regular solder with lead as well as tin, there can be many more ill effects due to the lead content.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
It is required by law i think to have some sort of ventilation. if you work with soldering in Europa. The smoke from solder is not very healthy. But here we are talking about constant exposure day after day. If you now then do some soldering work. It is not that bad.

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
I am not far from soldering area,how serious of this kind of smoke to human body. :confused:
It's harmful enough to warrant doing what you can to breath as little as possible. Use a vent if you can, or a fan to blow it away if you can't install a vent.

There is something else even more harmful to the mind and body: - not following your life passions, or starving from not having a job. I'd rather have breathed a little solder smoke in my life than to have missed all the benefits of pursuing my dreams. Still, don't be stupid. Don't inhale what you don't have to inhale, and for God's sake, don't eat the solder if you use your teeth as a third hand. :eek:

happyganl

Joined Dec 17, 2009
:Dwhy I am worrying it now ,for they all buy a machina to inhale the smoke,and a tube are connected to the machine, the other end of tube are point to my direction,today they stoped, a formal equipment is being made.but we are still in one common place.

I was in office room before, but more prints and PCS would eradiate me ,I think,So I move out to the open place, where produce the product.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
I'd much rather sit in a room full of computers all day than a room full of lead infused smoke.
Which reminds me, I need to get some lead free solder. Curse you Radioshack... :(

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
That might be why I have a huge nose... but at least my employers gave us fume extractors so my big nose didn't have to breath in the solder fumes. ;)

radiohead

Joined May 28, 2009
use a fume hood, or a smoke eater. Unless you are near it 24/7, the residual risks are minimal. You run more risks to your health by not washing your hands then eating/smoking after handling tin/lead solder. By the way, how many soldering stations are going at the same time??

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I'd much rather sit in a room full of computers all day than a room full of lead infused smoke.
Which reminds me, I need to get some lead free solder. Curse you Radioshack... :(
I still use lead tin solder, and will probably until I die. One nice thing about being into amateur radio, the supply is still plentiful.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
My health is shot anyway, and it probably won't make much difference what I play with now, so I use SnPb 60/40 at home. This seems to flow more easily than any of the "lead free" varieties that I've seen so far.

I do take care not to inhale the flux smoke though, particularly since I have a chronic lung condition. Despite this, so far I have not noticed my chest symptoms reacting to use of the soldering iron, and I would prefer to keep it that way. Once sensitised, you can be in a difficult situation: an ex-colleague developed a severe problem following use of solder paste without adequate fume extraction. He now risks a lethal reaction if he gets near the stuff, and has had to completely change career.

happyganl

Joined Dec 17, 2009
use a fume hood, or a smoke eater. Unless you are near it 24/7, the residual risks are minimal. You run more risks to your health by not washing your hands then eating/smoking after handling tin/lead solder. By the way, how many soldering stations are going at the same time??
six.
the special tube was installed yesterday, and smoke went oustide the hall.