The Great Atari Legend

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sparky49, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Sparky49

Thread Starter Active Member

Jul 16, 2011
  2. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm certain that they rendered them irretrievable , or thoroughly ruined in some other respect...if indeed they dumped them at all...

3. DrRich

Apr 21, 2014
    Probably mostly things you would rather not touch with your hands.

Apart from that, I have no idea why anyone would be fussed by the ET legend. I had a fad of collecting Atari games a few years back and only a very select few games are playable, let alone ET!

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
  5. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    Sounds like many are proving to be fully playable too! :cool:

6. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    My question is why go through the expense? Obviously they were 3.5 million copies that no one wanted then. Why would they want them now?

And even if a few people wanted them, what could they be worth with 3.5 million of them dumped on the market?

7. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    At the time, it was the worst computer game ever. Maybe they want to see if there have been worse games since then?

8. Sparky49

Thread Starter Active Member

Jul 16, 2011
    I guess it is also about the journey. Just as we like to spend money creating our projects which you could probably get a lot cheaper if you just bought it off of Ebay, these guys had some spare loot and decided to go on a real life treasure hunt. :D

It also proves the Atari 'myth' - no one had evidence that this was actually done.

Perhaps a closer analogy would be going fishing with friends. It's not some much about catching the fish as it is having a good time.

9. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    My son did some research on this. Apparently there was much denial from the Atari executives about how much money they put into thus game and the sudden decline in available operating cash at Atari. The executive team decided to hide as much as they could about ET and dump the cartridges. There may have also been some type of royalty due to Spielberg based on number of ET cartridges produced rather than sold.

In any case, the company dumped everything into the NM landfill. Upon later investigation, the executives claimed it the truckloads of garbage was actually old equipment gutted from a Texas factory resulting from an equipment upgrade.

Dozens of people requested to dig into the landfill to find the cartridges but all were refused because they lacked the prober equipment, know-how and insurance. Finally, a documentary crew found funding from various groups interested in video games/computer history. With a good plan in place, the landfill owner approved the dig and recovery.

10. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    I still own one of those ET games.....

11. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Who is the legal owner of all that junk?

12. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    In an early job, I had the responsibility for replacing cameras under warranty. Each returned camera was placed on an arbor press, and a 1/2" spike was driven through the lens and case. Then, the cameras were sent to the landfill. Apparently, Atari didn't bother with the "de-commissioning step."

13. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Good question. I suspect the owner of the dump is the rightful owner. Apparently after many splits, ownership changes, and bankrupties, Atari is down to 10 employees.

14. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009

Sell it now while it still demands a high market value! :)

DerStrom8 likes this.
  15. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    But only after rubbing it in the dirt in your backyard so that you can sell it as an "authentic landfill ET" cartridge. :D

DerStrom8 likes this.
  16. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Now that a million landfill-versions have been found, an authentic, purchased, copy may be more valuable.

DerStrom8 likes this.