The gold standard for an inside job...

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I agree. If you have something in your possession that could ONLY have come from a criminal act, then you are the criminal.

Suppose they found a human body in his fridge but cannot identify the victim. Doesn't matter!

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I have much dislike for the 9/10th of the law argument.

I have a family member who loves using that to say that whatever is on his property or in his hand at the time is now his after he borrows/takes something and won't give it back. :mad:

To me using the 9/10 of the law statement right there says guilty of the equivalent of theft because when a person really does own something that is not the way they state said item or property is there's.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
If I was going steal gold and try to resell it I would at least melt it down and mix some quartz and stone bits in it and try and pass it off as small naturally formed nuggets.:rolleyes:

Say I picked it up years ago at some long forgotten roadside trinket stand labelled as fools gold that after finding it again in a forgotten box while cleaning up the attic or storage shelves in a closet got me looking at it closer and gave me suspicions to be more than what it was sold as back then now that I had gotten some experience with working around real gold. ;)

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
If I was going steal gold and try to resell it I would at least melt it down and mix some quartz and stone bits in it and try and pass it off as small naturally formed nuggets.:rolleyes:

Say I picked it up years ago at some long forgotten roadside trinket stand labelled as fools gold that after finding it again in a forgotten box while cleaning up the attic or storage shelves in a closet got me looking at it closer and gave me suspicions to be more than what it was sold as back then now that I had gotten some experience with working around real gold. ;)
260 pounds of gold is a lot of (butte) nuggets to pass.

http://www.seeker.com/6-pound-gold-butte-nugget-goes-on-auction-block-1769208097.html

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
It was reported the men stole 10 gold bars from the courier truck each weighing 26 pounds.
I see. From the armored truck theft. I hadn't gotten treading that link until now.

For that I would have to say that spreading the fake gold nuggets out over a near continental wide resale system primary in areas associated with amateurs legally prospecting for gold would be needed. With some brains, planning, time and backstories it would likely be doable without raising any attention at all.

From what I have seen in my lifetime the typical thief spends way more time and effort on the task of stealing something that they do on the how to get rid of it without drawing attention end. :oops:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
From what I have seen in my lifetime the typical thief spends way more time and effort on the task of stealing something that they do on the how to get rid of it without drawing attention end.
True, the gold sphincter guy was busted by a bank teller when he deposited checks from a legit gold buyer.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
That's where planning and patience comes in of which people who steal tend to steal because they don't have the patience to work for something they want or the ability to plan their lives out to meet said goals either.

Where I'm at I could walk into any bank, set up a new account as a small business account and deposit checks and or cash from whomever I wanted everyday without raising an eyebrow. It would just look like that's who and what I do business in.

Simple, effective and not likely to raise any suspicion whatsoever. The three things common petty thieves are terrible at handling. ;)

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I agree. If you have something in your possession that could ONLY have come from a criminal act, then you are the criminal.
So if you put $120 under your bed every week over a 30 year career you have to go to jail?

Suppose they found a human body in his fridge but cannot identify the victim. Doesn't matter!
They do have a body, which by itself is still not proof of any crime. What is the cause of death? Did the guy just crawl into the fridge himself and get stuck there? What is the connection between you and the body?

I prefer the American standard: innocent until proven guilty.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
So if you put $120 under your bed every week over a 30 year career you have to go to jail?
Google, "Civil Asset Forfeiture".

"The former head of the forfeiture unit for the Bronx DA’s office told Gothamist that in about 85 percent of civil forfeiture cases, the property owner is never charged with a crime."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...feiture-abuse-at-nypd/?utm_term=.4c5753e98c15

NYPD steals so much money each year that they can't even count it with a computer program designed specifically to count it.

"A detailed account of money and property seized by the New York Police Department is essentially impossible, an official says, as a comprehensive effort to report how much money the NYPD takes during arrests would “lead to system crashes.”
https://www.rt.com/usa/359913-nypd-civil-forfeiture-data/

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
10 minutes with a $20 propane torch and coffee can of water could have solved that issue. :p

Stupid criminals. :rolleyes:
Yup. It's really the only reason we catch any of them. I'd have been so worried about the distinctive pucks that I would've melted them and added dopants to cover up their origin. And then waited 10 years. What's the hurry to unload it? I could use some gold in my portfolio.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Yep same here.

The odd handful of nuggets and tiny bits every fe months for a decade or more all while taking fake prospecting trips to Alaska or some other place people relate to prospecting every few months. No one would ever know.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Stupid criminals. :rolleyes:
When I think about going to prison (because my nephew was there for a year) I think the worst part would be the idiots I would have to live with.
I've been in a cast for over a year. I've been out of work for over a year with a back injury. I could Zen out a year in jail, but I don't think I could learn to live with a population consisting of people stupider than police officers.:(