The everything gate.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Design 903 A CD4007.PNG
It's a NAND gate. It's an AND gate. It's a NOR gate. It's an OR gate. It's an S-R latch. It's a monostable multivibrator. It's an astable multivibrator. It is three inverters. What more can you ask of a chip.
The forgotten and underrated CD4007. Billed as two complementary pairs and an inverter, this is a very versatile chip. Pin 14 is VDD (VCC). Pin 7 is ground, as usual for power.

Examples follow.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Design 904 B CD4007 NOR.PNG Design 904 A CD4007 OR.PNG Design 903 C CD4007.PNG Design 903 B CD4007.PNG
View attachment 113702
It's a NAND gate. It's an AND gate. It's a NOR gate. It's an OR gate. It's an S-R latch. It's a monostable multivibrator. It's an astable multivibrator. It is three inverters. What more can you ask of a chip.
The forgotten and underrated CD4007. Billed as two complementary pairs and an inverter, this is a very versatile chip. Pin 14 is VDD (VCC). Pin 7 is ground, as usual for power.

Examples follow.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Design 904 C CD4007 debounce.PNG
Design 906 CD54007 monostable.PNG Design 905 B CD4007 astable.PNG View attachment 113707
Here we have the astable, monostable (pulse stretcher), and bistable multivibrators (switch debouncer).

And this is only the beginning. All of these have variations. We can use the P-MOS singles and make other variations on the gates.
Output current capability? I have driven a white LED to both rails with no resistor (5 V power) for short periods of time, but I would not recommend that for a product design. It seems okay for tinkering with circuits on the breadbioard.

Last edited:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
By the time I became aware of it, it seemed rather hard to obtain so I discarded it forever from my list. Say, more than 30++ years ago.

And now that I think of it, I do not recall recent designs (hobbyist realm) with it.

Is it really easy to get nowadays? It seems it predates most of the CD family. RCA or Harris?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
I still have 2 or 3 in my stock, what condition they will be in after 30 years is anyone's guess.
It was quite a versatile chip for its day.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
By the time I became aware of it, it seemed rather hard to obtain so I discarded it forever from my list. Say, more than 30++ years ago.

And now that I think of it, I do not recall recent designs (hobbyist realm) with it.

Is it really easy to get nowadays? It seems it predates most of the CD family. RCA or Harris?
Jameco Electronics has them for about $0.39 each, DIP. Yes CMOS is that old.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015

Jameco Electronics has them for about $0.39 in a DIP package. Yes, they seem to be a long forgotten creature. Good for the classroom but not for new designs.