The English Language

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Hello,

I am a dutch guy who is working for a german/swiss company.
So I have to use German and english for writing the mails to the main companies.
I hope I have an understandable witings in this forum.

Greetings,
Bertus
There is a country I would like to visit someday. My kind of folk, but then I'm a liberal with common sense. That is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hello,

I am a dutch guy who is working for a german/swiss company.
So I have to use German and english for writing the mails to the main companies.
I hope I have an understandable witings in this forum.

Greetings,
Bertus
You do very well bertus, your English is considerably better than my Dutch! Although I must warn you have misspelt "don't" in your signature!

Dave

K8MHZ

Joined Jun 1, 2008
American is a dialect of English.

Yooper is a dialect of American.

Street talk is also a dialect of American with roots in African American vocal distinction.

Like it or not, such is reality. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

(PS, you can't beat 'em)

Cheers,

Marcus DeSparcus

mrmeval

Joined Jun 30, 2006
I have at most a few minutes a day to devote to this forum. I want that time to be as meaningful as possible. I use several indicators of which poster deserves help.

I've noticed that people who do not bother to use proper English are usually the ones looking for a free handout and are screaming for help. Other annoyances are "D00D" speak, misspellings, incomprehensible writing, whining for help, demanding help, lying, double postings, and drive-bys where they leave an email and don't participate further.

In some rare cases where I think the poster is being polite and being honest but speaking in vernacular I might help them but will point out how annoying their speech is. If they don't change after that I will ignore them.

Lately I've gotten to the point I don't participate here as much as I once did. It's not because the forum is bad but the bad behavior is overwhelming my ability to filter it out. I've taken to quickly scanning new messages and ignoring 98 percent of them.

I only do this during technical conversations where precision is needed. In casual conversation they're free to spew as much stupid as possible but I want them to wear a mask so they don't get any on me.

I was just reading through a few posts and it came to my attention how poor some people's spelling and grammer are. Why can't we all just use proper English. English is not my mother tongue and it bothers me to see fellow engineers (who are supposed to be smart) use language such as "can't not","how does the ... be used" are just two examples.

Can we not at least try to write in English that makes some kind of sense?

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I wonder IF he would get on the stool at the book store, or make that post before a live audience. At a convention's there are oratory speaker's. In your head light's,Let's All be nice.LOOSEWIRE

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Loosewire, the complaint here is not about persons with English as a second language. The complaint is about native English speakers who are too lazy to compose their posts properly.

Persons with English as a second language are clearly making an effort to be understood. I will therefore make an effort to help if I have the time and expertise. But if someone is unwilling to make the simple effort of typing clearly or phrasing a complete sentence in their own language, why should I make the effort to help them?