The electro-dynamics of moving objects

technokid

Joined Nov 29, 2014
Are you joking? What experiment and what results? That write-up does not come remotely close to the standards of a technical paper. Where are the Materials and Methods? Where are the detailed descriptions of the instruments used, the methods followed, the materials used, the techniques for measuring magnetic field, controlling voltage and current and on and on and ON?

Where's his analysis of variance? Oh wait, there wasn't any. Ridiculous.

His write-up would get a low grade at a high school science fair. If he can't be bothered to better document and support his claims, why should we be asked to waste time discussing them?

Again, I remind members that I am not the Author of this paper. Perhaps, if you want to obtain more info, email the professor.

Even, when Einstein wrote his 1905 paper, there were no references, whatsoever.

It was more or less on the lines of this paper.

This paper represents the main ideas. If someone wanted to duplicate this experiment, more technical info would be required, to this point, I agree.

Last edited:

technokid

Joined Nov 29, 2014
i already explained that a magnet can rotate about an axis through its pole faces and it does NOT create a rotating magnetic field. the field is stationary even when the magnet is in motion. Therefore relative motion exists between the conductor and field. Stop ignoring this fact. That is the mistake the "professor" makes in his opening page.
The magnet rotating and its magnetic field not, does not sound plausible. Take a U shaped magnet, place it underneath a paper and then sprinkle soft iron filings on top of the paper, to see the magnetic field. Then move the magnet underneath and paper and observe if the magnetic field shifts as observed by the iron fillings.

@technokid
I believe that lizards can survive by eating only rocks. My evidence that lizards eat only rocks is that I do not see any food or water for them yet they survive. I have not tried to look for errors in my logic and I have not tried to investigate how lizards spend their time. I only look out my front door and see a lizard each day but I don't see anything that he would be able to eat in all of that sand and dust. You must agree with me that the lizard survives only by eating rocks. If you don't agree with me, I can direct you to a paper written by someone I will refer to as a "professor" that is published on the internet. If you disagree with me, even after reading that paper, I will tell to stop teaching me why my theory (and the proof from the professor) is wrong and I will also tell you to try harder and actually look at a lizard from my front door with me and prove that I am wrong based only on that view of the lizard and other inane facts that my friend the professor has written. Please don't get caught up in other facts that you may have learned elsewhere. Those are not facts. Those tidbits of information are only group-think that "the man" wants you to believe. Come and join me. I will be watching the rock-eating lizard again this afternoon.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
ok. one last attempt. The professor has a paper. the very first thing you see on page one is a round magnet attached to a copper disc. rotation of an object that is not symetrical about the axis of rotation will result in a varying orientation of that object viewed from it axis of rotation. a round object does not do this. it has symetry about the axis. the symetry is key. without symetry about a rotational axis the field producing structure varies its aspect vs time. your horse shoe magnet example is of a magnet that is not symetrical around the axis of rotation. prrhaps you should avail yourself of the search features of google.com and research what i am telling you about. perhaps you will inctease your knowledge base.

hexreader

Joined Apr 16, 2011
I find technokid's arguments to be totally unconvincing...

... but rock-eating lizards: that I want to find out more about. Do rocks contain nutrients in their natural form? ... or do the lizards somehow convert the raw elements into something that they can live off? Nature is amazing :)

Sorry for taking the thread off-topic, but I think this thread lost the plot way back..... at about post #1 I would suggest ;)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Professor? at where and when.
There's a much better version of his paper here. At least I think it's more or less the same topic.

From there:

"Francisco J. Müller was born in Cuba in 1939, where he studied chemical engineering. He came to the US in 1962 where he finished a Master of Science in Physics at the University of Miami in 1993 after working as Research Associate at the Internal Medicine Department of the same institution for 28 years.

He is director of the Varela Academy of Science (a subsidiary of the Varela Foundation, Inc.) in Miami, since 1990, and in 2002 became an adjunct professor of Physics and Astronomy at Florida International University until present. He has shared his medical research and academic duties with a 40-year private research in electromagnetic unipolar induction, having presented conferences on this subject at various cities in the United States and abroad, including St. Petersburg, Russia, in 1996. "

Some interesting comments from his students here.

Last edited:

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
all the ways to generate EMF and how it works have pretty much been worked out many many decades ago.

on to other things now.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
not being a college type, just a technician, aI see that the way in which he inserted an electrometer in line with the conductor inside the magnet was not explained. an electrometer is a meter to measure extremely small currents or voltages, and having one near a magnetic field, rotating or not would totally mess up the readings.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Thank you wayneh I read some of the paper in your link, but could not determine anything special in the proposition.

The author seemed to be casting some doubt on the Faraday disk, when the magnet itself rotates, and then opening it out to a linear dynamo.

I don't see a problem here.

I don't know if anyone has seen the film "The Wrong Trousers" on your side of the pond but the railway sequence at the end is the best visual explanation of the effect I can think of.

At the end Gromit is riding a train and runs out of track. So he begins picking up the track that the train has just passed over from behind and relaying it in front of the train so the train has track to travel on to.

It is very funny.

But the big point is that as far as the train is concerned it does not matter if the track is a continuous run in front of it or just laid microseconds before it arrives.
And if it arrives microseconds before it does not matter that the train has just passed over it.
Either way each part of the 'trackway' that the train negotiates is identical to eaach other part and the train 'cuts' just as many sleepers.

It is the same for the Faraday disk and the rotating magnet.

The disk 'sees' a constant static magnetic field, whether the magnet is rotating or not, so the elemental section cuts the same number of magnetic lines as it travels.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I don't know if anyone has seen the film "The Wrong Trousers" on your side of the pond but the railway sequence at the end is the best visual explanation of the effect I can think of.
Sorry, I'm seriously going to have to disagree with you on this one... Wallace and Grommit's best movie so far is The Curse of the Were-Rabbit...

images.jpg

technokid

Joined Nov 29, 2014
More cheeeeeese, Gromit!
Suddenly, the aliens became very thirsty for more knowledge. Science wets your appetite for more.

I downloaded the same file but could not find it afterwards ....thanks, I will keep it in a safe place.

Last edited:

technokid

Joined Nov 29, 2014
Now we're on the right subject matter! :D
That is science for you. Don't take anything for granted. Just reflect on what has happened, here, with the participation of the members involved suddenly induction or the production of emf has taken a totally different perspective.

Francisco J. Muller took some 30 years of experimenting (that is a lifetime) to disprove ( better, I should say, overcome some of Albert Einstein's concepts, experimentally), that the production of emf extends beyond the methods taught at schools, today. As we say here, the jury is still out on the subject.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Doesn't a neutral stationary conductor have a voltage difference between the center and the outer surface due to skin effect?

When Mr. Faraday sprinkled his filings, he was only looking at a cross section plane. If he would have looked at the longitudinal plane, he would have seen that a magnetic field ALWAYS rotates.

If you have a rotating coil spring....and look at it from the end.......it looks like it's not moving.

Last edited:

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
The concept to get hold of is that it doesn't matter whether the conductor cuts the same line lots of times or lots of lines once only, in the same time period.
The effect is the same.

To see this more clearly, replace the copper disk with a plastic one that has a single hole punched in its rim.
Shine a single light beam so that it will pass up throught the hole when aligned and be blocked by the rest of the solid rim.
Place a photdetector in the beam, but on the dark side of the disk.
Now spin the disk at i revolution per second.
As the disk rotates the detector will one produce pulse of electricity every second.
If we double the disk speed we will get two pulses per second and so on.

But we only have one light beam which is being cut many times.

Now go back to the copper disk and one single magnetic line.
Can you see the similarity?

technokid

Joined Nov 29, 2014
Doesn't a neutral stationary conductor have a voltage difference between the center and the outer surface due to skin effect?

Why would that be so, if the conductor is stationary and due to the randomness of the electron movement on the skin of the conductor any emf that may exist momentarily would automatically be cancelled. Where as a movement in a magnetic field, electrons are forced to one side, leaving the other side depleted of electrons and thus it is said an emf now exists. In other words, work was to done to force the electrons to one side of the conductor, normally electrons would tend to be apart as possible from each other, but the magnetic force collects them together, forcing them together against their repulsive forces.

I take it, the conductor is not immersed in a magnetic field, including that of the earth.

When Mr. Faraday sprinkled his filings, he was only looking at a cross section plane. If he would have looked at the longitudinal plane, he would have seen that a magnetic field ALWAYS rotates.
Can you elaborate on this further?

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
The only way to cancel the natural internal EMF of a metallic crystal lattice is to cool it. As you cool it, there will be a temp. where all of the free electrons return to a home atom. Only then will the lattice not have an internal EMF. As you warm the lattice up...one electron will be freed. As soon as the first free electron starts moving about the lattice, you have an internal EMF.

If you want to see the true nature of a magnetic field, Youtube ferro fluids.