the difference between these two modules

David_Baratheon

Joined Feb 10, 2012
Hi, everyone, I was just looking at the modules for Uni next year and two of them sound similar:

Commun'n Systems & Computer Networks

Digital Comms. & Information Engineering

Is there two fields in communications?

Is digital comms and comms two different fields?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Don't those two modules have a course outline to describe what topics are covered?

Digital communication would likely be limited to digital only communication. Communication systems would likely cover both analog and digital communication.

David_Baratheon

Joined Feb 10, 2012
so are digital communications and analogue communications two seperate fields? in a working environment would you be an expert in both or would you have an expert in each field?

They do have module outlines but they dont explain much

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Most communication is done in digital format and analog communication is mainly used in legacy systems such as AM/FM radio. Since the future is digital, I would think you should concentrate on that.

dataman19

Joined Dec 26, 2009
So are we talking about individual courses? If so you need the course numbers (ie: Psychology101, or Quantum Electronics 302, etc).
Or are we talking a course of study (this was already explained by another forum member).
Or are we talking about a Degree Program.
To answer the question originally posted, yes there are Analog and Digital courses of study. Yes communications has a common ground, but there are articular Study Curriculum courses that apply to both (and yes, there are also common curriculum courses).
It is beneficial for any engineering student to learn about analog, even though they may be studying along a Digital Discipline and course of study. Likewise, it is beneficial for a person studying under an analog course of study with its own criteria and discipline to study and have an understanding of the Digital World.
Traditional Universities take longer to get degrees, yet have a more rounded course of study. Diploma mills and Non-Traditional Technical academy's (I mention both because they may or may not be just a diploma mill, and a Technical Academy may very well not be a diploma mill.)
As stated by another forum member - you need to look at the core curriculum and prerequisites. Take the courses that would best fit your goals, and help you achieve a "well rounded" education and provide the knowledge base to do what you want. Although Analog is perceived to be dead, this is not so. But Digital is the wave of the future, even the analog engineers are relearning so that they can be reactive and productive. The world needs both disciplines, and thinking that the world is totally digital is a false assumption based upon hype. The world is both analog and digital - so plan accordingly.
One more thing, there are communications degrees that include printed and publishing - not electronics systems but communications management. So please don't let the words communication lull you into thinking it is an electronics engineering course of study.
Back to the course outline - this is what gives you the info you are really seeking. This is the info you should make your selections by. aking my advice is spitting in the dark (it's not my course of study, and I am only giving general advise). Like already suggested - Look ant the Course outline.

David_Baratheon

Joined Feb 10, 2012
they are modules from the second year of my degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering.

Why would networking come under analogue communications though?

I might need to pick modules so deciding to do both or just one

both these courses are definitely part of the tripple e modules are Uni

evilclem

Joined Dec 20, 2011
My guess:

Commun'n Systems & Computer Networks: Network engineering and communications protocols.

Digital Comms. & Information Engineering: Protocols for data transfer possibly covering image coding, audio coding and compression techniques.