The deviant economist...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Of course an anthropologist would tell you to lick the rock you are holding ... if it tastes like shit, it's petrified poop.
Why an anthropologist? For that to really work, I'm afraid that would require the rock's holder to be both a geologist and an eschatologist... with a gourmet inclination.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
A quick Google finds Coprolite is the word that means petrified dung. The same search also finds that you can buy petrified dung on eBay. :confused:

ps, do I have to start keeping a dictionary tab open for you, too? o_O

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
A quick Google finds Coprolite is the word that means petrified dung. The same search also finds that you can buy petrified dung on eBay. :confused:

ps, do I have to start keeping a dictionary tab open for you, too? o_O
In some places it is called dungalite (or crapstone). I had teacher that would bring a piece of it to class and set it on the podium on days that we were going over really tricky material. The first time he did so he said that that was his way of telling us that we needed to pay close attention because he was going to be talking about some really hard shit that day.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Well at least you have the multilingual excuse to fall back on.;)

Otherwise I don't consider it a forgivable let alone 'irrefutable' excuse for monolinguistic people that grew up and have lived in the US all their life no matter how far to the south side of the country they may be to grossly and repeatedly misuse words and their meanings and or overall sentence structure context and then claim that they mean something totally different and where it's the readers who are continually getting things wrong relating to what they posted regardless of how many people post links to dictionaries to show 'irrefutably' otherwise. :rolleyes: :oops::D

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Well at least you have the multilingual excuse to fall back on.;)

Otherwise I don't consider it a forgivable let alone 'irrefutable' excuse for monolinguistic people that grew up and have lived in the US all their life no matter how far to the south side of the country they may be to grossly and repeatedly misuse words and their meanings and or overall sentence structure context and then claim that they mean something totally different and where it's the readers who are continually getting things wrong relating to what they posted regardless of how many people post links to dictionaries to show 'irrefutably' otherwise. :rolleyes: :oops::D
o_O uh?

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
You don't want to go there Tcm.

I've met plenty of people north of the line whose school system didnt teach them.

The problem exists and it is a political one; as such it is prohibited speech here.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
You don't want to go there Tcm.

I've met plenty of people north of the line whose school system didnt teach them.

The problem exists and it is a political one; as such it is prohibited speech here.
But I have this stick and I do so like to poke certain things with it. :oops:

Actually what I am referring to has no politics related to it. It's simple 'irrefutable' inability to use common wording in its established and most correct meanings to convey one's thoughts.

As far as schooling goes I went to local pubic school that excelled at not teaching anything useful to anyone and has been excelling at that for40+ years now encompassing 3+ generations of people who can't read, write or do basic math properly. ;)

BTW the main reason I managed to graduate at all was no teacher wanted me there for any longer than was legally required of them. :D

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
It is political as you are but one state in a group of fifty. You have your own leaders, just like the 49 others.

One size rarely fits all.

There are multiple dialects in every language.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Classic economic theory isn't wrong just because it doesn't predict what people will do. That isn't the purpose. Economics is just a tool to help evaluate candidate "choices" we make everyday. But it doesn't require everyone to use it and to make their decisions to their economic benefit. We see this all the time, particularly when it comes to big ticket items. A very large portion of the population tend to over buy. There is often a possibility that the decision may be a good economic one (getting a good price, for example) but a poor one considering the buyer's resources and basic needs. This is where people fail most often, imo.

Another example of something that works well when applied correctly is the housing market. Someone earlier mentioned the housing bubble of a few years ago. The economics of home ownership has worked well for well over a century, with few hiccups. However, in recent time, the rules that kept the market sane were turned on their heads, and a very dangerous market emerged from the changes. Prices were out of control, and the situation wasn't tenable. Finger have been pointed over the years, but I believe the economics were sound up to the point where the established structure that supported it was dismantled. This caused a rapid rise then sudden crash. It was all predictable (in hindsight, I certainly didn't predict it)

In his book, "The Armchair Economist", Rodchester professor of economics, Stephen Landsburg attempts to apply economic theory to understand consumer habits. When he finds is there are many factors that override economics, and that in real life, people make buying decisions on many factors that make perfect sense to the individual. One chapter is devoted to why people pay so much for popcorn at the movies, and the reason isn't what you might think.

Last edited: