The dawn of the Hoverboard...

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Riding a quad copter, cool! I wonder how they optimized the size of the battery? I guess you wear as much battery as you can while still being able to get off the ground. I'm gonna need to diet for the rest of the year.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Riding a quad copter, cool! I wonder how they optimized the size of the battery? I guess you wear as much battery as you can while still being able to get off the ground. I'm gonna need to diet for the rest of the year.
Mmmhhhh... I was under the impression that the thing runs on gas!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Ahhh, old school. I didn't even consider that. But I thought that battery+electric motor is actually superior to gas engine+fuel for short hops?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Ahhh, old school. I didn't even consider that. But I thought that battery+electric motor is actually superior to gas engine+fuel for short hops?
That's a good question. And truth being told, I don't think I have the proper knowledge to answer it.
I'd say that electric motors are normally lighter than gas ones (assuming equivalent power), but that batteries outweigh gasoline... although lithium technology might be an exception... so yes, I lean towards agreeing with you on that one.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I just know that electric "jets" are in use for short hauls. They can't compete yet for long flights, but they offer certain advantages for short flights.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I just know that electric "jets" are in use for short hauls. They can't compete yet for long flights, but they offer certain advantages for short flights.
And that's all very well and nice... but I'm still waiting for the jetpack I was promised when I was a kid... I remember that my parents would say:

See c, when you are our age, you'll be flying to and from the workplace instead of being forced to crawl through car-infested traffic, breathing noxious fumes, as we now have to in this primitive 20th century...

Yeah... right... :rolleyes:

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
And that's all very well and nice... but I'm still waiting for the jetpack I was promised when I was a kid... I remember that my parents would say:

See c, when you are our age, you'll be flying to and from the workplace instead of being forced to crawl through car-infested traffic, breathing noxious fumes, as we now have to in this primitive 20th century...

Yeah... right... :rolleyes:
I think they were talking about your grad kids. ;)